• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Leak, engine failure ~ 2004 RAV4 Head Gasket Blown

j.major

My step-mom bring is rav4 2004 184000km to a toyota dealer for the oil change and they told her that she need to change is engine because ther is leaking oil and prestone from the head gasket. Does anyone have change the engine due to a problem with the headgasket

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hang on, we're missing some details to this story.

Ok, your step-mom took her RAV4 into a toyota dealer and they said that her head gasket has blown? 184000 km is about 115000 miles. Was she having other issues with the vehicle, that is did she just go in for an oil change and they told her she needs a new engine? Or was the RAV4 not running properly and she knew it?

j.major

About 2 month ago the oil light when on because she was missing oil bout since then she did not have any problem. Every inspection any reparation was made in a toyota dealer.the last one was in august and she went this week because the car was due for an inspection the week before she start hearing somekind of noise when she turn off the truck

j.major

She even went to an other toyota dealer for a second opinion and they told her they rarely seen this happen to a toyota with low milage. She told me that the truck was runing proprely before that. I kent really tell you more a living to far and i did not se the truck

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's rare, if she caught it early is an expensive but fixable issue with the head gasket. However if she's run out of coolant then the head is going to get warped and that's really bad news.

All manufacturers have issue like this. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw from a manufacturing defect and sometimes it's lack of proper maintenance.

edit: I changed the title of the thread to help other people looking for the same thing.

Last edited:

j.major

Ok i will tell her that its propably a bad luck because she all the maintenance at the moment the manuel owner said the truck never seen another shop than a toyota dealer. The second dealer she ask for advise told her that somebody screw somrthing up during the maintenance to make the engine need to be change
Ps sorry for my english its not my first language

j.major

I was just looking if somebody got the same issue

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
OK. Looks like this is a common issue with the 2004 and 2005 RAV4s. I found this on the web on a couple of other places.

Our 2005 Rav4 was found leaking coolant out of the rear of the head gasket at about 110k miles. This seems to be a common problem caused by an over torqued head bolt during Toyota manufacturing. The Toyota dealer said it does a lot of these type repairs. It seems Toyota itself is aware of this problem and offered us $1,000 toward the purchase of a new Toyota after we called the Experience Center 1-800-331-4331 ex3. That does not help with the estimated $2600 repair bill from the dealer.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm reading more and more stories about people with 2004/2005 RAV4s who had premature head gasket failure, the common complaint is that they were over torqued from the factory so that weakened the gasket and even under average driving conditions people are seeing them fail.

This type of mistake (if it's true) is very annoying as the gasket itself is nothing but a sealant between the block and the heads, so to see a failure due to over torquing is really unfortunate. Looks like Toyota built a lot of these and people who are complaining the most about this have the 2004/2005 1AZ-FE 2.0L or the 2AZ-FE 2.4L engine.

Can you get the engine type on your mom's vehicle? It will be listed on the manufacturers plate under the hood along with other vehicle-specific information.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
... also, I'm reading anecdotal statements about people having their Toyota dealer do the job for as little as $1500 a few years ago, someone just last year wrote that their had their dealer charge $2600 ... and someone else is trying to formulate a class-action lawsuit. However, that's probably in the US, and if you're not in the US then I'm pretty sure you're not going to be eligible for a US suit.

j.major

Im from canada. I will tell her that is years had the problem but is it possible that an engine can be ruin because of the head gasket

TacoJennifer

TTC Chicks
Let us know, I had a friend who went through a similar situation and enough people complained about it (which is why you should call the Toyota customer service number) that they eventually issued a service bulletin on it (Honda in her case) and then Honda paid for 1/2 of the repair.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Good luck. I also would like to know what Toyota says if they are contacted about this vehicle and this issue.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
class action suit time? wondering if it doesn't get to a recall status then what toyota will do about it.

j.major

She finally got fix is truck and its running perfect. She didnt went to the dealer and got it fix for half of the price. It was the headgasket

j.major

Around 1600 and they have change the timing belt and the water pump. The estimation of the dealer was 2600 and that was not include the timing and the water pump

j.major

After the third time they open the engine they found some silicone in the engine according to the shop toyota know about that problem .

Related Content You Might Like: