• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Is this true? Toyota pick-ups frames easily rusts?

antonino

100 Posts
Some Toyota pick-up owners are reportedly experiencing inordinately heavy amounts of premature rust on their truck's frames. How sad could this be?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The problem was 97 to 03 trucks.
Toyota notified owners of a buy back program that was extremely fair, paying as much as $7500 for a 97 model truck which at the time of the notice was an 11 year old truck.
Participation in the program was at the owners choice, the only stipulation was the truck must have rust through holes in the frame or severe metal degredation from corrosion that could lead to failure of the frame if not treated.
Toyota turned didnt turn down any participants that qualified, less than 500 trucks were bought back, 91 owners applied but didnt fit the criteria, and 0 owners took a case to arbitration.
The program is still active for owners of those year trucks, doesnt matter if your the first owner or the fiftyith, Tpypota made it an open end program.
But the truth is the oldest of those trucks identified is 15 yrs old and the newest 9, and if you have a severely coroded frame at this point after being notified it was a possibility it should be your own fault for not doing something about the problem, metal corrodes, thats and indisputable science fact.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
They're rusting now after they are 15 years old ... or they have been rusting all along? I'm sure if they headed down to the gulf coast in the US, they could find some vehicles that would be rusted ... GM, Ford, VW, Honda, Toyota and just about every other manufacturer as well in that heavy humidity part of North America.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The problem showed up on 97 models first, in early 2003.
Some trucks operated near the coast and in the rustbelt started having issues with pinholes in the frame.
Toyota jumped on it real quick and treated the trucks with a corrosion preventative and offered the treatment for owners of trucks that lived in the identified areas, and owners that felt they might have a problem with corrosion in the future.
Some owners didnt want their trucks treated for whatever reason and a few years later the pinholes issue came back on untreated trucks.
This time Toyota began an agressive program to identify trucks that may have issues and make sure all truck owners knew about the buy back program.

I was told Toyota's reaction stems from what they felt was a black eye they got from mid 80's truck corrosion problems.
In that case trucks built in the mid 80's that had standard beds (notched sides) were manufactured in Japan, SR5 (smooth sided beds) were manufactured in the U.S. For some unkown reason the truck beds werent put on trucks being shipped to the U.S. or painted until they got to the Fremont Ca. assembly plant, they were shipped by freighters in primer. This is thought to be where the corrosion problem started , but was never confirmed, others thought the problem originated in the steel manufacturing process since trucks built in the Kyoto plant have always suffered from a higher rate of corrosion than those manufactured in the U.S.
In 1990 trucks with notched bed sides started having rust through issues, the top rails of the beds were corroding so badly they would fall off, unfortunately corrosion warranties at that time were only 3yr 36K miles so when this started happening the trucks were out of warranty in some cases by a few years. Toyota made the mistake of not getting proactive and basically adopted the attitude of "what you expect the truck to last forever? It's gonna corrode sooner or later". They've learned from mistakes, but not all their mistakes.

balihaisen

100 Posts
But of course, it will rust. Basically, most materials are made of iron, and we all know iron rusts through time. Trucks can be made of other metals, but that would be expensive, very expensive!

Daniel

Making their cars rustproof is something Toyota has failed to do in numerous cases. I still hold Toyotas above all the other cars, though.

supernovax3

100 Posts
I think it could also be where you live. Some areas of the world have much harsher elements that take a toll on vehicles quicker and more intensely than other climates. This could just be in my head, but I've seen it more with non-American cars in America than anything. They are made for a different climate, I think.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I think it could also be where you live. Some areas of the world have much harsher elements that take a toll on vehicles quicker and more intensely than other climates. This could just be in my head, but I've seen it more with non-American cars in America than anything. They are made for a different climate, I think.
Yes, one way that make premature rust on truck's frames is also depends where you live in and the driving environment, if you are leaving near a beach or seashore most likely your truck frames is a rust prone.

suncomb1

My local Toyota Dealer's service manager told me that the problem with frame rusting is because the sub-contractor / supplier of the frames failed to follow Toyota's construction process, they left two (2) critical steps out of the process, therefore some newer Toyota trucks have or will have frame rusting problems. They have a trained crew changing frames on trucks. The crew is really good and other Toyota Dealers are sending their trucks to them for the change.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
My local Toyota Dealer's service manager told me that the problem with frame rusting is because the sub-contractor / supplier of the frames failed to follow Toyota's construction process, they left two (2) critical steps out of the process, therefore some newer Toyota trucks have or will have frame rusting problems. They have a trained crew changing frames on trucks. The crew is really good and other Toyota Dealers are sending their trucks to them for the change.
great, thanks for sharing. This is maybe one of the major cause that Toyota pick-ups frames can be easily rust

Related Content You Might Like: