• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Is the 4Runner reliable when off-road?

Brad

100 Posts
The 4Runner is one truck I have on my list of ones to look at and I'm wondering if it's reliable for going off-road?

I've always wanted a truck which is perfect for off-roading and I've seen a few videos of the 4Runner, but I also want to know what's like from those who have it.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Hi Brad

Hope you had a chance to see this particular video, which features Steve, who runs this very forum:

I specifically bought a 2014 4Runner Trail Edition because of the rave reviews for off-roading and handling in the snow. I only just bought it, so I haven't had the pleasure of taking it off-road yet, but I've seen enough video reviews that I'm confident it will handle very well. I see your other post about considering a Highlander, too. I'll chime in over there, too, as I ran the gamut of shopping research, from everything from the smallest little crossover, to the 4,700 lb 4Runner I finally decided on ;)

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Thanks for the link to the video. I keep turning around and they keep making new versions of this same video. :)

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Here are a couple more videos.

This one from The Fast Lane Car shows off features like the crawl control and multi-terrain select:

And here's The Fast Lane Car's Top 10 Winter Driving Cars (4Runner Trail came in at #4):

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I love how they're playing with toys of the models, lol.. I've run into these guys at some of the car shows and automotive events out there.

Brad

100 Posts
Hi Brad

Hope you had a chance to see this particular video, which features Steve, who runs this very forum:

I specifically bought a 2014 4Runner Trail Edition because of the rave reviews for off-roading and handling in the snow. I only just bought it, so I haven't had the pleasure of taking it off-road yet, but I've seen enough video reviews that I'm confident it will handle very well. I see your other post about considering a Highlander, too. I'll chime in over there, too, as I ran the gamut of shopping research, from everything from the smallest little crossover, to the 4,700 lb 4Runner I finally decided on ;)
Definitely looks pretty good off-road. I'd say it was reliable from what I've seen. Does this car have any notable faults when it's bought?

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Does this car have any notable faults when it's bought?
I think every car has its ins and outs; it's a matter of personal preference as to what you can and cannot live with.

My issues are pretty minor, and stuff I was willing to live with/work around. First things first, back to our 4Runner vs. Highlander discussion, whereas the Highlander is more car-like, the 4Runner doesn't have some of the features you'd find in a typical "grocery getter". The one thing I loved about my Grand Caravan SXT was the power sliding doors and especially, the power up and down hatch. While the 4Runner has that totally awesome power back gate window, the gate itself is not powered. It's a bit of a reach and takes a little oomph for a little 5'3" Asian girl like me, but I manage it. I just find it funny that the power lift gate option isn't even available on the Limited trim. I'm sure there are people who would be willing to pay for that convenience. Second is blind spot monitoring; another feature that's commonly available as an option in most grocery-getter CUV's, but non-existent in 4Runner Land. No worries... a couple cheap stick-on wide-angle mirrors solved that problem ;)

Like I said, just minor complaints. I do absolutely love my 4Runner. I do have to fold down seats frequently, and I have to say, it is so much easier to do in the 4Runner, than it was even in my old Grand Caravan that had Stow 'n' Go seats. Pull a strap, push a lever to drop the head rest, push a button to drop the seat back. Voila! It's easy to put back in place, too. All the pluses seriously outweigh any minor quibbles.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
Some of this stuff is just how comfortable you are when driving it, does it suit your needs, etc. For where I live, and from where it sounds like Paleomama is moving to, there are a lot of places to go offroad, even just a few miles from the city, so these vehicles are really useful and practical.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Exactly, Jenny. Brad, I think for you, maybe it'll be worthwhile to come up with a list of what it is that you're expecting from a vehicle, what your intended uses will be, where you plan to go off-road, how often, etc. Take a few out for a test-drive, too. Compare different brands, and see how their features differ. That may help you narrow down a few choices.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I've thought about going to the suv platforms but im a truck guy and that's how I live. That being said if I were to go on more skiing trips to Colorado it would be the 4runner trail edition for sure.

Brad

100 Posts
Exactly, Jenny. Brad, I think for you, maybe it'll be worthwhile to come up with a list of what it is that you're expecting from a vehicle, what your intended uses will be, where you plan to go off-road, how often, etc. Take a few out for a test-drive, too. Compare different brands, and see how their features differ. That may help you narrow down a few choices.
I think I might go to my local car showroom and see if I can find any SUV's or trucks. I'll take on your advice and take a few for a test drive. Wish me luck!

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Toyota makes the best product as far as quality and reliability. IMO When it comes to offroad and driving in snow the they are all the same,,,the nut on the perimeter of steering wheel is the critical component. My friend has a recovery service and there is no particular make or model that gets any deeper or further into the muskeg. These vehicles are not built for this type of use other than in promotional videos,,of course just my opinion.

Brad

100 Posts
Toyota makes the best product as far as quality and reliability. IMO When it comes to offroad and driving in snow the they are all the same,,,the nut on the perimeter of steering wheel is the critical component. My friend has a recovery service and there is no particular make or model that gets any deeper or further into the muskeg. These vehicles are not built for this type of use other than in promotional videos,,of course just my opinion.
So you think I'd be better with something else if I wanted to go off-road?

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
I'm really not a fan of broad generalizations. A big hobby of mine is DSLR photography. Yes, every big, clunky digital SLR camera will do their intended job, and take photos. No, they are not all the same. As in cars, there are a multitude of brands, models, and packages. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses; things that they do better, and other things, maybe not so much.

Brad, I still think you need to come up with a list of realistic expectations of your intended primary uses for your upcoming new vehicle. Once you do that, I'm sure you'll find at least a couple of cars that would suit your needs. Then it's just a matter of picking your favorite.

Brad

100 Posts
I'm really not a fan of broad generalizations. A big hobby of mine is DSLR photography. Yes, every big, clunky digital SLR camera will do their intended job, and take photos. No, they are not all the same. As in cars, there are a multitude of brands, models, and packages. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses; things that they do better, and other things, maybe not so much.

Brad, I still think you need to come up with a list of realistic expectations of your intended primary uses for your upcoming new vehicle. Once you do that, I'm sure you'll find at least a couple of cars that would suit your needs. Then it's just a matter of picking your favorite.
I really want a vehicle which is reliable when going off-road and that's basically it. I wouldn't mind a bit of storage space as well, but I don't mind if there isn't much of that.

Related Content You Might Like: