• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Is High-Mileage Oil good for your Toyota engine?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the special "High Mileage" oils that have popped up over the past few years.

Are they worth it?

millionaireman

this is a good question, well if you are going to check the label of a high mileage oil you would notice that it would give you a long list of advantages of using such oil however if you are going to weigh in the basic function of oil inside the engine normally its main purpose is to lubricate the crankshaft and pistons, absorb heat and protects the engine from corrosion and rust. Now all oils have additives and during engine operations these additives oxidize regardless whether you have a regular or high mileage oil. These oxidized additives then form into small particles which disrupts the performance of your engine, so the best way to maintain your engine is regularly replace the oil.

Now to answer your question yes they are worth it since most high mileage oil has additives that helps your engine however since you still need to change the oil on a regular basis regardless if the manufacturer state that that the oil is designed for longer mileage, i'm not sure if it is still economical. what do you think?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
this is a good question, well if you are going to check the label of a high mileage oil you would notice that it would give you a long list of advantages of using such oil however if you are going to weigh in the basic function of oil inside the engine normally its main purpose is to lubricate the crankshaft and pistons, absorb heat and protects the engine from corrosion and rust. Now all oils have additives and during engine operations these additives oxidize regardless whether you have a regular or high mileage oil. These oxidized additives then form into small particles which disrupts the performance of your engine, so the best way to maintain your engine is regularly replace the oil.

Now to answer your question yes they are worth it since most high mileage oil has additives that helps your engine however since you still need to change the oil on a regular basis regardless if the manufacturer state that that the oil is designed for longer mileage, i'm not sure if it is still economical. what do you think?
Yeah, I can see your point on that. I guess if nothing else it's cheap insurance becuase the additives certainly can't hurt your engine. I remember back in the day when they made Slick 50 and that was proven to HARM engines, never before did a product get dropped so quickly! haha. We used to use Honey Oil as well when an engine started to leak too much, that was so think that it must have been like 40w/200 oil, but it worked great in the summer from stopping oil leaks.

MD_Weems

100 Posts
I have always heard that they were good for older, high mileage cars & trucks, but don't know first hand.

1st-Synthetics

High mileage oils are refined at the higher end of the viscosity chart. Every oil viscosity has a range it has to fall into to meet API requirements. High mileage oils are at the top of this chart. So as the high mileage mineral oil breaks down it ends up near the middle or bottom of the chart. Normal mineral oil ends up below or out of the viscosity chart for it's class. If you use a good synthetic it remains near the same without breaking down right in the center of the chart and no need for high mileage oil. I hope this helps explain what a high mileage oil is.,

GearHead

100 Posts
I think I'm with toyotafan on the cheap insurance philosophy. Not sure they really make that much of a difference, but why not shell out a few extra bucks if it can make your engine last longer? There are a lot of bogus additives/etc that I would never purchase but I think spending a little extra on oil can't hurt.

1st-Synthetics

Synthetics will make an engine and other components last longer. They also will get you better fuel mileage. Most of my customers tell me they get 1 to 2 miles per gallon better fuel economy when they switch to Amsoil.

danstpierre

100 Posts
So far I have not yet used any high-mileage oils. I still prefer synthetics, and I don't have any problems with it.

antonino

100 Posts
If the question is is it worth it? The the answer is yes. Perhaps the next question is, should I shift to high mileage oils? You decide.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I think that oils these days are so much better than they used to be, but there are certain issues that high mileage engines face so it does make sense that there would be additives that are helpful to solve those problems.

john505

Hey 1 ST-syn i to sell amsoil out here in ny, been doing is for 20 years. Its more of a hobby then a bussiness. Iv use amsoil in all my cars, have amasoil--but in this case i have a 97 toyota pickup with 145,000 miles on it. I only use the high milege oil for it. This oil has many more additives to protect the engine from wear. The oil is good for the rings, seals, gaskets. We all know over so many years of driving that the internal metal parts do wear. When they wear they become thin, so in that regard you do need to use a little thicker oil to take up that gap. And im not saying to use a real heavy oil, but like in my truck it calls for 5W-30, im only using 10W-30 high milege oil. My truck dose not smoke or burn any oil, nor dose it make any engine noise at all. No tapping or pinging, of the valves or lifters-- Run and drive very smooth. Synthetics are great stuff--, but when will amsoil come out with a high milege oil synthetic or a blend. Iv been asking that for the past 5 years. Drop me an email.

1st-Synthetics

Hey 1 ST-syn i to sell amsoil out here in ny, been doing is for 20 years. Its more of a hobby then a bussiness. Iv use amsoil in all my cars, have amasoil--but in this case i have a 97 toyota pickup with 145,000 miles on it. I only use the high milege oil for it. This oil has many more additives to protect the engine from wear. The oil is good for the rings, seals, gaskets. We all know over so many years of driving that the internal metal parts do wear. When they wear they become thin, so in that regard you do need to use a little thicker oil to take up that gap. And im not saying to use a real heavy oil, but like in my truck it calls for 5W-30, im only using 10W-30 high mileage oil. My truck dose not smoke or burn any oil, nor dose it make any engine noise at all. No tapping or pinging, of the valves or lifters-- Run and drive very smooth. Synthetics are great stuff--, but when will amsoil come out with a high milege oil synthetic or a blend. Iv been asking that for the past 5 years. Drop me an email.
AMSOIL will most likely never have a so called high mileage oil. As you know mineral oil breaks down fast and a good synthetic does not. Mineral oil's called "high mileage" are refined to be at the top of the viscosity standard or just over the standard instead of somewhere in the middle where they should be. With AMSOIL you are covered better. Just throwing some numbers out to show what I am talking about on lets say a 5W-30 . The high mileage oil would start new with a viscosity at the high end of the spec. AMSOIL would be somewhere right in the middle of the speck. The high mileage mineral oil with say 3000 miles on it would fall below the viscosity of AMSOIL with 10,000 miles on it. The mineral oil breaks down where the AMSOIL viscosity stay pretty constant through it's useful life.

Related Content You Might Like: