• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Ignition timing specs 1988 Calif. 22R Carburated

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The timing markings should be on the driveshaft pulley or the timing cover. But since you're asking the question I assume that you don't have those to reference.

Generally, timing for the Toyota 22R should be set to the 5 degree mark (5 degrees BTDC) with max rpms at roughly 950 if you are at a normal elevation. Back in 1988 there may have been a special timing for the California Emissions, back when they actually had a difference between various states. Those have gone away now, but this timing should be correct for the California carburetor, and if it's not someone can correct me.

Also, you need to plug the vacuum hoses on the distributor, just a simple plug is ok and they suck in, not blow out.

Try it out [MENTION=3932]tdapsr[/MENTION] and let us know what you find. Also, let us know if you actually do have some type of diagram in one of those two spots ... sometimes on the underside of the hood as well ... but these are maybe long gone on a 1988.

tdapsr

Thanks. Got it. Yeah, the decals with emission specs are long gone. And of course the almost worthless Haynes manual is well....almost worthless... :) And yes I'm aware of the location of the timing marks. The timing cover is marked in degrees ...and I was guesing prolly 5 deg. BTDC but I just wanted to know what the factory setting was. I'm going to set it at 8 and see if she pings. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: