• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

How To Remove Corroded Old Tacoma Gas Tank Strap?

ActionClaw

It is so damn frustrating when even what seemed would be the simplest of jobs becomes problematic.

Replacing a gas strap. Easy. A couple of bolts on one side and, on the other, a basic little pin to pop out.

Nothing to it! Unfortunately after exposure to salt & the elements for a decade or more, the corrosion freezes everything solid.

Removing the cotter pin from the pin was easy enough but no amount of pounding the pin (in either direction) caused it to budge. I haven't yet been able to get a good grip on it with vice grips or similar to try twisting action. I applied PB blaster (the best product in the world!!) but I doubt any amount of spraying will help as I don't think there's a way to get it to where the pin actually goes through the strap’s loop end. Similar situations call for the application of a torch. I'm a little uncomfortable doing this inches from the gas tank especially since I've been smelling fumes and suspect a leak. Have any of you encountered this or similar situation and, if so, how did you handle it?

I do have one idea for a possible solution but I'd like to hear what else y’all have come up with before I spill it.

Thank for any help

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
How long have you been soaking the frozen parts with PBB? Sometimes it takes a few good doses over time for it to penetrate those stubborn pieces. Also give it a few blows with a hammer & punch at critical areas to help break loose those items. Last but not least is there anyway to get a pair of snips in there and just cut the strap?

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Keep us informed of what works.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Die grinder can cut in tight spots. I have 3 die grinders. No doubt a miserable task when everything is frozen with rust.

Related Content You Might Like: