• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

How can a broken down Land Cruiser bring people together?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ouch! Oh YEAH, "that's a Jeep thing" for sure.

I had a "Jeep Experience" a few weeks ago. A neighbor has a 1953 CJ3A for sale. I got it started and took it for a test drive. It made it about 3 blocks and then quit running. Would not restart & stay running. Maybe bad/old gas. Anyway, another neighbor responded to my plea for help and towed me back to the first neighbor's house where we pushed the Jeep back in the garage. NO THANKS for $6000!
REMINDS ME OF A STORY ABOUT A LAND CRUISER BREAKING DOWN ON A TEST DRIVE

A buddy asked me to go with him back in the early 1990's to test drive a 1970's Land Cruiser. I don't remember much about that except he thought it looked great, i thought it was junk and it broke down while we did a huge block in Lynnwood, WA on a test drive.

(Not this Land Cruiser, just for reference)

_0001_1970.jpg

Like, literally broke down on the far side of this test circuit he had planned from highway 99 out to 52nd Ave W, where it stopped running and we pulled to the shoulder. Took 15 minutes of fidgeting but we eventually got it started again and drove back to the car lot but only got to a safeway supermarket before it stopped running again as we coasted in. At this point we're about 3/4 the way back to the dealership, maybe a mile away on highway 99.

Not sure as it's been 25 years, but i think it was here (see image).

Screenshot_20190110-083945_Maps.jpg

We saw some girls who laughed at us under the hood while they walked into the store. We tried to get it started and messed with it a few minutes (this was before cell phones, i guess we could have dropped a quarter in a pay phone or used the phone from the store) but we decided to just walk back to the car lot dealer when it started to rain.

The girls had now come out of the store, they saw us and felt sorry and pulled over in front of us as we were walking to offer us a ride back in a really super small car. I was pushed into the back seat, my friend trying to strike up a conversation with the driver in the front seat. Anyhow, it was getting late, was raining off and on and they dropped us off at the lot and took off.

The girls were about 17 or 18, we were like 19 or 20 maybe, just friendly and very nice to keep us from walking a mile in the rain. We got back to the dealership and it's funny that they didn't seem to blink when we said it broke down. My friend handed them the keys and said their cruiser was in the safeway parking lot. They said ok and I guess went to tow it.

My buddy kept mentioning the cute blonde who picked us up and he kicked himself for not getting her number. Brought it up several times as we were driving home. We happened to pass a Wendy's and i happened to mention to him that i thought one of the girls said they were going to Wendy's. My friend immediately crossed over two lanes of traffic and pulled into the Wendy's parking lot. We walked in and there they were just having finished ordering their food. We ordered something to make it look like we weren't stalking them and asked to sit with them.

We sat down and by the end of meal my friend Todd did get her number .... and Todd and Lori are still married nearly 25 years later thanks to fate and a broken down Land Cruiser on a rainy afternoon in Washington state.

FB_IMG_1547130934535.jpg

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Great story! Just goes to show you that you can take a negative and turn it into something amazing.

So whatever happened to the land cruiser? Lol

Related Content You Might Like: