• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

hi new to site have few questions on motor swap i am doing.

buckshot

I am replacing a 2004 tundra motor , and the replacement motor I got has different throttle body . I have been told it is motor driven. But my question is can I swap my old one to new engine ,being that I am using same harness and everything will be same after swap. Thanks

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site. You've got a 2004 Tundra that needs a new engine and the donor truck is also a 2004 Tundra? Is everything else the same, same type of engine and all that?

buckshot

Yes everything on new motor is identical except the throttle body but if I was to swap my theottle bodies everything would be same just wanted confirmation this will work before I set everything back in there.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Where are you getting the other engine, sorry I made the assumption that you're getting it from a boneyard, but you might have a crate engine or one that's been rebuilt by someone.

I think that some Toyota throttle bodies have a cooling system, and I'm guessing that's the difference between the two. Does one have a couple of ports coming out of it and the other one does not? Also, it also could be some type of aftermarket modification like a throttle body spacer. Let me look into it and I'll post again in a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

I got this from the Toyota NCF manual, you might have one of these.

A thermostat is installed in the throttle body. The thermostat uses the thermal expansion of the wax to open and close the valve to shut off the flow of warm coolant when the coolant temperature is high in the throttle body’s warm coolant passage. This prevents the throttle body temperature from rising more than the needed level, thus restraining the rise in the intake air temperature.
- - - Updated - - -

Also, just reading some anecdotal chatter back and forth, looks like they quit doing the TB thermostat maybe sometime in 2003 ... so it's possible that it showed up in some 2004 model Tundras, but not in others. It also might have to do something with EPA emissions regs and they put it in on some but not on others. That's all I have for now on that actually, it sounds like they're interchangeable from a bolt-pattern perspective, but you might not have the correct modules to fully take advantage of a thermostat managed TB if didn't come from the factory that way on your truck.

That's just what I think makes the most sense. I mean, you can put all sorts of stuff on a throttle body and it still works, so adding in a different OEM throttle body should be pretty safe.

buckshot

Yes it was pulled from another truck got it through lkq. Its all factory, yes has a little motor on side of it . yard that ordered it said that the swap would work since I am using my harness. But just wanted some confirmation lot of work to re wire and put in to pull back out again. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it was pulled from another truck got it through lkq. Its all factory, yes has a little motor on side of it . yard that ordered it said that the swap would work since I am using my harness. But just wanted some confirmation lot of work to re wire and put in to pull back out again. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry new to this site just saw info you put after I wrote that seems to be same info so I'll give it a shot thanks

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Hi Welcome to the site, yes a lot of work to re wire and put in to pull back out again, I just wondering if the replacement motor is done by you or technician? just curious :)

Related Content You Might Like: