• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Helper Springs added to 1991 Toyota Pickup

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
fullsizeoutput_c66.jpeg
I added helper springs to my '91 Toyota today. The springs in these trucks have always offered little resistance to added weight. I learned this when I installed new spring bodies on sons '89 Toyota and there was no noticeable difference in springs ability to support weight. We had changed them as he had a broken main leaf.
Next load of firewood will determine how much these helpers work. They did lift the truck 3/4" at rear. I do have the option of adding a second set of helper springs as well.

fullsizeoutput_c63.jpeg

ToyRV

nice .. Alot of the Toyota Rv owners add helper airbags .. so u can adjust them as needed .. another option are adjustable air shocks .. .. the springs are great until riding with no load

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
For me, the rear leafs has always been a weak link. Didn't take much for the rear to be sagging. Glad their are easy fix options.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Our local spring/suspension shop added an extra leaf to the rear spring packs on our '06 Tacoma when we had it. Truly changed/improved the handling and drivability of the entire truck. Best money I spent on that Tacoma. My bro-in-law still has the truck.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
48B75949-F1F3-467D-80CD-4005D5858BDC.jpeg
I considered adding a leaf as I have extra leaf packs from parts truck but this was quick and easy. Its less than a dozen times a year I would need the extra support. I did get fire wood a few weeks ago. Locally utility had dropped a few trees nearby and bucked some of it to 16", I got two loads:D
The 4Runner was no better. The truck on my trailer had no engine or transmission so only weighed about 2000 lbs.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
View attachment 8500 I considered adding a leaf as I have extra leaf packs from parts truck but this was quick and easy. Its less than a dozen times a year I would need the extra support. I did get fire wood a few weeks ago. Locally utility had dropped a few trees nearby and bucked some of it to 16", I got two loads:D
The 4Runner was no better. The truck on my trailer had no engine or transmission so only weighed about 2000 lbs.
My My and what do we have on that trailer. SWEET.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Very nice. What is it, a 1950s international. What drive train did you use, and do you still have it.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Very nice. What is it, a 1950s international. What drive train did you use, and do you still have it.
Its a 1941 K1 International. Still have it. 4.3 GM, 700R4, Fatman IFS, S10 rear end.
100_0445.JPG

1941 International K1

Since building i have sprayed with a Satin clear as flat paint is a PIA to keep clean, also changed the bumper to '33 Ford and the front signal lights. Front signal lights are track light pots that I glued LED clearance lights into. I thought the light housing were more Art Deco.
IMG_3133.JPG

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
E4A14A94-F61D-4E55-AC2E-838C0E395D10.jpeg
Saw this decent looking Toyota at ski resort today. Seems to be there lots so likely employee or they spend as much time as I do on the mountain

Related Content You Might Like: