• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Heater resistor ~ 1991 Toyota Pickup

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Heater resistor(wire type) not working. Fan only blows on high. This is a 2 minute job to replace in my 1991 truck. However my parts truck is a '92 and the ceramic heater resistor although it works will not fit into the hole in fan housing but it will do for now. The resistor gets very hot, you can smell it! Obviously the original being housed in the fan housing helps the part dissipate the heat. What I like is Toyota did not change the plug style so other years of resistors will work
56392298167__1DB52DC8-FC76-41F4-8A3B-1EDF7E652DB6.JPG
56392296894__1DCF87B9-B85E-469D-8C67-364CD02AFB8F.JPG

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
It's amazing how often these fail, and also how many years this failing part (or another like it but equally bad) was used.

The one in my '83 must be bad, as I only have 2 speeds, and when I was looking for an '05-'06 Tacoma, I read on one of the forums that these resistors failing was a VERY common failure. Sure enough, the first Tacoma we looked at only had one blower speed--high.

HiluxSurf

Hi, saw your post. I have '91 P/U extracab 3.0 with the 2 lower blower speeds not working. Found a ceramic one from a 4runner,but could not fit it in. Can I use a one screw resistor pack from a 1987 P/U without too much trouble? Thanks.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Hi, saw your post. I have '91 P/U extracab 3.0 with the 2 lower blower speeds not working. Found a ceramic one from a 4runner,but could not fit it in. Can I use a one screw resistor pack from a 1987 P/U without too much trouble? Thanks.
The ceramic I had would not fit and then after a month it failed. The solder melted so I bought the correct resistor from Rockauto. $15
I think if the resistor fits in housing it’s fine as that cools the resistor,, or so I think

Domenic

Does anyone know how to test the heater resistor. I priced replacement on line at $150, want to make sure that is the issue before spending the money

JB1025

I have a 93 Dlx with the ceramic block style heater resistor just swapped in a new one but i also have a stuck fan switch so have that coming also did find there are 2 fuses for ( A/C 10 amp & Heat 30 amp) on right side of truck kick panel that i will check as i have no power to my A/C switch so will take a look @that when my fan switch show's up as long as part of the dash and glove box have to come out to fix both these problems only want to do it once.

Related Content You Might Like: