• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Hard starting old truck? A possible fix....

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
A few months ago I was grazing in '83 Toyota truck parts on eBay and came across a seller offering new ignition coils for early trucks for 1/2 price, which was about $20.00. Seemed like a fair price, so I bought one. Took a few weeks before I finally installed it.

My '83 was never really hard to start, but it always turned over a bit before firing, and it turned over a loooong time when it was cold. After installing this new coil (plug-and-play, took maybe 5 minutes) it now starts instantly when warm and only turns over a couple of times when cold.

Made a major difference. Could be the best $20 I have spent on this ol' truck. I do need to mention that the rest of the ignition parts had already been replaced (plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap).

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I did not think weak coil possible with these engines. Thought coil either worked or not
I have couple spare coil packs for my ‘91 although never swapped one out

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
I did not think weak coil possible with these engines. Thought coil either worked or not
I have couple spare coil packs for my ‘91 although never swapped one out
The results of the coil swap surprised me too! I suppose after 36 years, the old, original coil may have gotten a bit weak. Back in my hot rodding days, we frequently put in "hotter" coils to improve spark. Not saying this new coil is actually "hotter" than the original, but I suppose it could be a possibility, as it acts like it. It sure starts the truck quicker.

Related Content You Might Like: