• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Hard Start And Smells Like Gas ~ Toyota Pickup

yconley

TTC Chicks
Hi everyone! Im new so bare with me.....
I just bought a 93 toyota pick up 4x4.
Truck worked great with no problems except a small oil leak so I took it my mechanic that i have been with for many years now.
After giving it a quick once over he told me I needed a new clutch, main seal and replace the 2 valve seals.
Which I agreed to and he did the job.
However, after getting it back it didn't want to start right away after turning key (which it did before)
After sitting a few hours its really hard to start and it smells like gas really bad.
i gave a quick look underneith and didn't see anything leaking.
So i took back to him since I did not have this problem before he worked on it.
He says he sees nothing wrong but does admits he also smells the gas.
He is adimit that the work he did didn't consist on moving or touching anything that has to do with the fuel.
Can someone hel me make since of this......
Thx

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok, let's start from the ground up.

It's a 93 with what engine, the 3.0 3vz or the 2.4 22re ... or something else? How many miles on it and since you just got it you might not know if any work has been done, but what can you tell/know?

If you smell fuel be careful. Where do you smell fuel at and only under the circumstances that are listed above when it's been sitting? However, you are able to still drive it?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Fuel smell, check the fuel rail for correct pressure.
You want pump running pressures and timed leak down pressures.
Look at the injector "O" rings and fuel rail connections.
I think that fuel rail has an "O" ring at the rail pressure regulator.
Been a few years so Im not a 100% positive.

yconley

TTC Chicks
Ok, let's start from the ground up.

It's a 93 with what engine, the 3.0 3vz or the 2.4 22re ... or something else? How many miles on it and since you just got it you might not know if any work has been done, but what can you tell/know?

If you smell fuel be careful. Where do you smell fuel at and only under the circumstances that are listed above when it's been sitting? However, you are able to still drive it?
It's a 3.0 and has 157000 miles on it.
It pretty much smells all over from the cab (outside) forward but if I had to pick a specific spot I guess it smells stronger on the passanger side under the hood.
And yes, only during the above circumstances, when it's been sitting for a few hours.
Let me give a quick hypothetical scenario......
Walk out the door and go the start it......(no gas/fuel smell at this point).......takes approx 7-10 seconds to start (seems to start a bit faster if I pump the gas, which is weird because its fuel injected)
At this point it does smell like gas/fuel.
Go to the corner store, turn if off (truck is still cold, not warmed up yet), get back in, starts perfect, fires up right away but still have gas/fuel smell.
Will continue to smell until it's been sitting for approx an hour or so.
I constantly check under the hood and under the truck to see if I can see anything dripping, but nothing!
And yes I can still drive it with no problems other than the starting and fuel smell.
I don't know if any of this helps make sense of it all.
Thanks for your help!

yconley

TTC Chicks
Fuel smell, check the fuel rail for correct pressure.
You want pump running pressures and timed leak down pressures.
Look at the injector "O" rings and fuel rail connections.
I think that fuel rail has an "O" ring at the rail pressure regulator.
Been a few years so Im not a 100% positive.
I don't know what "fuel rail" or "pump running pressures and timed leak down pressures" means.
Please explain so I can check it out.
I also have a 89 toyota truck (not 4x4) and have the "mechanics" book on it (not the one you would buy from a store. It's the book actual car mechanics use for reference.
Can I use that book to check on some of these issues?
Thank you!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
As far as the service manual some things will be different but the service manual you have should be a decent reference.

"Fuel rail" you have a fuel injected engine, locate the injectors, see the fuel supply line to the injector? This is called a "fuel rail", should lead to each injector and terminate at the front of the engin on top of the intake manifold.

The fuel pump should be providing a measurable fuel pressure to the injectors via the fuel rail. There should be a pressure port on the fuel rail with provisions to connect a pressure test gauge.
Running pressure would be with the key on fuel pump pressurizing the system, some models require the engine actually running.
Leak down pressure would be taken or read by pressurizing the system then leave the gauge connected and check pressure at timed intervals to calculate pressure loss. A correctly functioning system should only loose 1-2 psi over say an hour, at 3 hours it shouldnt loose more than 4psi, check your manual for your exact figures.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Also check the "o" rings where each injector connects to the fuel rail.
And check your evap system, your system has a valve to stop pressure leak down from the fuel rail to the evap system, they do go bad and can cause a fuel smell if the evap can get fuel saturated.

yconley

TTC Chicks
Wow I consider myself somewhat "mechanical" for a girl but this is all sounds confusing to me.
Ive never had to deal with something like this in any of my cars or motorcycles.
This blows. I have a feeling Im gonna end up taking it to the dealer........ch-ching, ch-ching, ch-ching $$$$
:(

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I think that once you get out there and take a look at it ... it's not so difficult to understand. Just need to go step by step on this.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Please dont let this overwhelm you.
Step 1 would be a visual inspection, look at the top of the intake manual for signs of fuel pooling or damp looking spots, probably around the injectors or any fuel line connections.
step 2 look at the evap cannister, lines to it are normally just pushed on, no fittings, disconnect the lines 1 at a time, look for dampness or liquid fuel.
If these steps provide no results then take a trip to your local national autoparts store that loans or rents tools, get a fuel pressure test kit, should have instructions on connecting.
Running fuel pressure should be as previously noted, timed is shutting the engine down and check periodically for pressure readings.
Please attempt this before paying someone to repair the truck.
Look through the repair manual you have for a section on fuel systems, it should give pressures and test proceedures.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Sounds like the leak is only during startup,,then "whatever" seats itself under pressure...I think fuel rail but you really have to follow your lines as tbplus10 suggests. The 3.0 does make finding your wet spot a challenge...too much stuff buried there and out of view...

Related Content You Might Like: