• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Fuel Tank for 1977 Toyota Pickup?

kevin1977

I own a 1977 pickup that has a hole in the bottom o the fuel tank. I have searched high and low for a replacement and it seems that there are none to be found. does anyone know where to find one? is there a aftermarket part or fuel tank from another vehicle that will it? Is there a fuel cell that someone could recommend? Hope that someone knows something about this and how to fix the problem

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
1977? You're likely going to have to go aftermarket. How big is the hole? You might be able to find someone who works on tanks and could patch it for you, but that's not something I would ever do on my own. Have to empty and fill with water, patch, check for leaks, pump the water out and then you're still in a position where you have weaker metal all around the rest of the tank.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
You could always try to find something lose and find a way to secure it.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Unless you are doing a original restoration replace fuel tank with fuel cell. They are available in many sizes.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
You can repair a small hole with 2 part epoxy putty. If the tank is removed, and cleaned, a patch can be welded in, but all the gas including the fumes MUST be removed. The tank can then be purged with an inert gas like argon, so that it can not explode when welding.

kevin1977

1977? You're likely going to have to go aftermarket. How big is the hole? You might be able to find someone who works on tanks and could patch it for you, but that's not something I would ever do on my own. Have to empty and fill with water, patch, check for leaks, pump the water out and then you're still in a position where you have weaker metal all around the rest of the tank.
the hole isn't very big so my last resort will be to plug it with some sort o epoxy. I did just find a shop called Orozoc that repairs fuel tanks and sending units so I'm going to call them Monday morning to see what it costs and if I can send them my tank to repair. It looks like they have a few locations but they are all in California. Ill update the post when I find out more details, could be helpful to others. thanks for the help

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Spectra Premium OEM & aftermarket tanks, steel and exact match to vehicle. Contact them about your tank.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
the hole isn't very big so my last resort will be to plug it with some sort o epoxy. I did just find a shop called Orozoc that repairs fuel tanks and sending units so I'm going to call them Monday morning to see what it costs and if I can send them my tank to repair. It looks like they have a few locations but they are all in California. Ill update the post when I find out more details, could be helpful to others. thanks for the help
Let us know what you're going to do. I guess it's been at least 25 years since I've had to deal with a gas tank issue in a vehicle.

Related Content You Might Like: