• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

fuel filter replacement for Toyota Trucks

millionaireman

Every 3000 miles, I change my oil and think about replacing my fuel filters since my pick up is running on a Diesel engine I believe that replacing the filters on a regular basis would some how prevent the wear and failure of the fuel pump and its injection system.

I have a lot of friends who replace their oil filters on a regular basis but forget to replace their fuel filters until it is too late that they have to replace their injection pump system or have it calibrated. How often do you replace your fuel filters? Should it be as often at 3000 miles or something like 10,000 or maybe 15,000 or 20,000 miles?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Every 3,000 miles seems like that's pretty frequent. I probably do mine like every 15,000 miles. I'm only changing my oil every 5,000 miles now becuase the oil is so much better these days.

I bought a new fuel filter when I got my truck 10k miles ago and haven't put it on yet....my friend said something about my 95 4Runner having one of the million mile filters...but that doesn't sound right to me!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The filters arent million mile filters but if you read the latest version of the Toyota Factory Service Manual for your truck they changed the recomendation for fuel filter changes, after quite a few in depth studies Toyota decided the filter could go 200K or until theres a problem. They removed the fuel filter change from the recommended service for most Toyota vehicles prior to 190K.
But if you've already bought the filter it wouldnt hurt to change it since you dont know what the PO was running through the fuel tank.

MD_Weems

100 Posts
We usually end up changing out a fuel pump when one goes down, although I can easily see where it would be better to do one before that point. We do have two "toy" cars that we've changed them out in because they are older cars and there is no telling how the PO drove them. We changed the one on our 91 300ZX and then the one on my hubby's 81 Vette that he got. Better to do a complete maint check on those toys that we love than wait til it goes down and costs a ton with other parts or worse.

GearHead

100 Posts
I read 100k miles somewhere, seems about right for a fuel filter. They last a really long time unless the gas you are using is horrible for some reason, but honestly most of it is pretty much the same. Don't go out buying expensive gas now, pointless as far as I'm concerned.

chippewa

I change the fuel/water filter every time I change the oil in my powerstroke. I run full synthetic so I change the oil every 10k-12k. If you want your diesel injectors to last it is best to change your fuel filter often. I have 575,000 miles on my diesel injectors. On my gas vehicles I change the fuel filter every 20k-25k.

tarheel

I tend to do similar, except I change it every other time I change my oil filter. But that is because I am overly cautions and change my oil every 3k-4k miles.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I guess it's cheap insurance to do maintenance that's above and beyond. At least all of this stuff is recycled so that it's not just being wasted down the drain or going into a landfill.

balihaisen

100 Posts
3000 miles per change oil? That's too frequent. You must be so obsessed with your truck and you have a lot of time for it.

danstpierre

100 Posts
LOL! I like your term "obsessed". Some guys have that tendency, especially if they love their trucks more than their wives!

antonino

100 Posts
Anyway, used oils can always be recycled for other uses. So it is always cheaper, if you do your own maintenance. And one more thing, you can feel a stronger bond with your truck!

gladden

More than a month after my last change oil works fine. I count by the month, not by the mileage.. My truck's not really that used.

Related Content You Might Like: