• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Front Mount Tire Carrier On 2011 Toyota 4runner

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Got this question from new member @garya

I'm just a retired guy who purchased a 2011 trail model 4Runner to haul a popup camper from the east coast to Alaska and the Yukon in the summer of 2012. I'm hoping to repeat the trip this summer, 2016, and include some of the long gravel roads I didn't have time for 4 years ago - like the Dempster and Denali Highways.

I want to take a second spare tire with me for this trip. I don't like the idea of putting an 80 pound load on the roof rack - hard to access and I ain't getting any younger!! But I've found an outfit called CURT that sells front mount hitches for my vehicle, and spare tire mounts for them. Maybe the ideal solution! But, being a worry wart, I'm wondering about possible impact on engine cooling. In 2012, without a front mount spare, I hardly noticed a change in the temp gauge, even after pulling the trailer up some pretty steep roads. So maybe no worry. And maybe no problem if the engine does run a bit hotter.

Do you or anyone else have experience with front mounted spares?​

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So, airflow can be a huge problem as we all know, but I think that it's going to depend on temps and air density. We all know that the opposite is true, in the crazy cold weather we'll block the cold air from hitting the radiator with cardboard and that will prevent freezing, so maybe we'll actually get some warm air from the heater instead of cold.

Let me see if I can see a pic of what you're going to be carrying. You could always think about adding the spare tire to your tow vehicle as well, you're going to be towing the weight one way or another.

... so I pulled up the CURT website. Looks like this would allow you to mount a post to this and attach the tire to that? I would think that would give you enough airflow around that to not give you anything to worry about.

• Made with a vehicle-specific design for a custom fit
  • Provides a convenient mount for hitch accessories
  • Ideal for attaching a snow plow, cargo carrier or other front hitch mount
  • Allows for easy maneuvering of a trailer into a tight spot
  • Tested for safety in accordance with SAE J684
  • Precisely welded for superior strength and fit
  • Protected by a durable black powder coat finish
  • Co-cured in a rust-resistant liquid Bonderite coating
  • Strengthened with a forged, welded, seamless collar
  • Equipped with an open-back receiver for easy cleaning
  • Backed by a limited lifetime warranty
  • Made in USA
Notes:

• Trailer hitch weight ratings are limited to vehicle manufacturer's stated capacities
  • Includes all necessary installation hardware

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looking around the interwebs, I found some pics of what this will look like.

I guess this is the post that fits up front and holds the tire?

You could always do a swing-out rear-tire carrier as well.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Lots of good ideas out there, I think this looks pretty cool. It's a swing-out tire holder that doubles as a camp kitchen area.

garya

Thanks for your reply! The local Toyota dealer thinks there won't be an overheating problem, so I've ordered a Curtis front hitch mount that looks just like the one you've found. The post I've ordered, though, has an inclined surface for the wheel, not a vertical surface, so the end result will probably look like that pic you found of the 4Runner with a front mounted spare.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Thanks for your reply! The local Toyota dealer thinks there won't be an overheating problem, so I've ordered a Curtis front hitch mount that looks just like the one you've found. The post I've ordered, though, has an inclined surface for the wheel, not a vertical surface, so the end result will probably look like that pic you found of the 4Runner with a front mounted spare.
Good stuff. When do you have it installed?

Jarred

100 Posts
Those looks nice and sturdy tire mounts, sure they will do the job. I always thought that heat is not a huge issue in Alaska.

How long the trip will be? I will be little worry with extra weight. Some nice tire repair kit could help. Search with some good shops around there for good inspection.

Related Content You Might Like: