• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Flat towing question

Michael Oritt

I have a Toyota 5-speed transmission--I think it is a W55 or W56--installed in a 1954 Austin-Healey. (This is not an uncommon modification in the Healey world and at least two suppliers make custom bellhousings and kits.)

In any case my question is whether or not flat-towing the car for substantial distances will cause damage to the transmission. If the answer is "yes" is there any external oil pump that can be fitted to make towing possible?

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
A quick google search would have answered you questions. If the trans came out of a Toyota truck, then its a w56. The w 55 trans was used in the Celica from 81 to 84. The w 56 was used in trucks from 84 on. The max towing cap of thoses trucks is 7800 Lbs, but that includes the total of the truck and tow trailer or whatever. As for a trans cooler, that is used on automatic trans, not manuals. The truck trans will not be the week link in the towing cap of your car. It will be rear diff, engine, and braking.

Last edited:

Michael Oritt

Kenny--

Thanks for your reply but if you reread my post you'll see that I was not asking about the towing capacity of the transmission but rather whether or not flat-towing my Healey in which the Toyota transmission is installed will damage it.

I not asking about a transmission oil cooler but rather, if the answer to the above question is "yes--flat towing will cause damage" then whether there is some way to have an external oil pump that would circulate oil within the transmission to prevent damage to the shaft bearings, etc.

Best--Michael Oritt

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Heat will not affect a manual trans, like it will an auto trans. The trans can take whatever you throw at it, up to 7800 lbs GVW. It will tow or haul that, as that is what it was built for. Overheating in a manual trans is not going to be an issue, unless you exceed 7800 LBS GVW. There for there is no need for a cooler. You can tow whatever the car can handle. The trans will not be an issue, unless you have done an engine, diff swap with something crazy like a 500 HP engine and a built trans, and an upgraded diff. Keep in mind, that we do not know what engine, rear diff set up you have. I dought anyone here is fooling with a 1954 A H

Michael Oritt

Heat will not affect a manual trans, like it will an auto trans. The trans can take whatever you throw at it, up to 7800 lbs GVW. It will tow or haul that, as that is what it was built for. Overheating in a manual trans is not going to be an issue, unless you exceed 7800 LBS GVW. There for there is no need for a cooler. You can tow whatever the car can handle. The trans will not be an issue, unless you have done an engine, diff swap with something crazy like a 500 HP engine and a built trans, and an upgraded diff. Keep in mind, that we do not know what engine, rear diff set up you have. I dought anyone here is fooling with a 1954 A H

Michael Oritt

Kenny--

Thanks for your message but again I believe you are misunderstanding my question which simply relates to whether or not the bearings, etc. will suffer from the car being towed. I am NOT asking about towing capacity, etc.--but simply whether the Toyota box in the Healey will be okay if I am towing the car. I know that some transmissions require the engine to be running/input shaft turning in order to provide lube oil to bearings, seals, etc. I cannot find anything online relating to whether a W transmission can be flat-towed.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Ok, now I got you. The w56 is a splash oil system, so by towing the car with the trans in N the trans will be lubed as it is spining. The gears just sit inside the oil, and as they turn, the oil is picked up and slung around inside the gear case. It dosnt matter it the engine turns the trans, or if the trans is in N and the drive shaft turns the trans. As long as there is oil inside the gear box, the gears will be lubed, and no harm will come to them or the bearings from a lack of lub.

Michael Oritt

Ok, now I got you. The w56 is a splash oil system, so by towing the car with the trans in N the trans will be lubed as it is spining. The gears just sit inside the oil, and as they turn, the oil is picked up and slung around inside the gear case. It dosnt matter it the engine turns the trans, or if the trans is in N and the drive shaft turns the trans. As long as there is oil inside the gear box, the gears will be lubed, and no harm will come to them or the bearings from a lack of lub.
Thank you!

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
This is a slow forum. I came over from GMtruckclub.com. I have both A Chevy, and a 4 runner. Also like me maybe others didnt understand what you ment by flat towing. That may be a common turm where you live, but where I live, it is not. I would have worded the question totally different. Where I live, flat towing, means pulling a load over flat ground (no inclines). Inclines will effect tow caps. Glad I could help though.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
As Kenny stated, this is a slow forum, but also Kenny answered your question pretty well so there was no need to jump in with further info.
Personally I try to never flat tow vehicles, in addition to ensuring the trans has sufficient lubrication during the tow (which in this case it will with the splash style lubrication system this trans has) you also have to deal the issue of front end stress.
Austin Healey to me, means a road course car, the only reason you would tow this type vehicle is to take it to a road course. So I would be concerned about the wear and tear on the front tires and steering gear.
Having owned many Desert Buggies and SCCA series cars over the years I've learned the hard way that flat tow is hard on the front end, its always better to trailer tow these vehicles. But if you cant trailer tow them a set of replacement tires for the course and a good lubrication job on the front suspension and steering gear with a once over on any fasteners before and after the tow can save tons of wear and tear.

Michael Oritt

As Kenny stated, this is a slow forum, but also Kenny answered your question pretty well so there was no need to jump in with further info.
Personally I try to never flat tow vehicles, in addition to ensuring the trans has sufficient lubrication during the tow (which in this case it will with the splash style lubrication system this trans has) you also have to deal the issue of front end stress.
Austin Healey to me, means a road course car, the only reason you would tow this type vehicle is to take it to a road course. So I would be concerned about the wear and tear on the front tires and steering gear.
Having owned many Desert Buggies and SCCA series cars over the years I've learned the hard way that flat tow is hard on the front end, its always better to trailer tow these vehicles. But if you cant trailer tow them a set of replacement tires for the course and a good lubrication job on the front suspension and steering gear with a once over on any fasteners before and after the tow can save tons of wear and tear.
TB--

Thank you for the response and input.

Actually my Healey is a road vehicle and the only times I have ever used the tow rig was to get from an urban/high traffic environment to a more scenic and rural spot from which to depart for a longer trip.esp. in very hot weather. I have on a couple of occasions carried the rig, which is collapsible, in the trunk on long journeys to remote areas with the thought that in case of a breakdown I could catch a tow to a place where I could make repairs, etc. I simply wanted to verify that bearing lube was not an issue and appreciate the input.

Best--Michael

Rob Dickey

I have a Toyota 5-speed transmission--I think it is a W55 or W56--installed in a 1954 Austin-Healey. (This is not an uncommon modification in the Healey world and at least two suppliers make custom bellhousings and kits.)

In any case my question is whether or not flat-towing the car for substantial distances will cause damage to the transmission. If the answer is "yes" is there any external oil pump that can be fitted to make towing possible?

Rob Dickey

Your 1954 Austin Healey should never be flat towed. You may end up with not only transmission damage, you’ll have rear end damage to the Austin Healey. Mike, go rent a a car trailer if you do not have one and tow it. Do not use a car dolly. If you use a car dolly you may damage the A-H. Any Toyota truck from 1969 (my first new Toyota truck) to the new 2019 can tow your Austin Healey. Good Luck!!!!!

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I never been a fan of flat towing but likely due to ignorance although it was quite common to see cars flat towed to dragstrips way back. I have always removed the driveshaft to flat tow.
So is the transmission the weak link in the Healy?

Michael Oritt

I never been a fan of flat towing but likely due to ignorance although it was quite common to see cars flat towed to dragstrips way back. I have always removed the driveshaft to flat tow.
So is the transmission the weak link in the Healy?

Michael Oritt

In the early cars such as my 1954 BN1 the four-speed transmission came out of a truchk and first was so low that it was blanked off and the transmission was a three-speed with electric overdrive on 2nd and 3rd. However second gear was quite weak and often broke as did mine. I took the opportunity to go to a Toyota five-speed which I like very much.

Related Content You Might Like: