• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

First time Toyota Buyer-What am I looking for and where can I find it???

mxracernumber1

I'm new to this forum. I have been searching the web looking for the truck I want & am amazed at how little info is actually out there. I want a Toyota 4x4, but I don't want that gas-guzzling v6 Tacoma. I also don't want an old clapped out woods beater either. I don't know when they quit making the truck I'm looking for or what it's called. I saw one at the ballpark tonight that looked fairly new, but I thought they quit making thsoe some years ago. It had a TRD emblem on the side. I can descrobe what I want, but I can't find it anywhere. I don't know what it's called so I'm turning to you Toyota junkies for help. I need to know what to search for, the years it was produced and how much I should pay for it. Gas mileage on my Suburban is breakinng the bank. Below is what I know I want, I just don't know how to find it.

1.) 4x4
2.) 4-doors
3.) Smaller truck, not the gas-guzzling mid-sized Tacoma
4.) 4-cyl. engine.
5.) Latest year model possible

I need 4 doors, but I want to put a top over the bed to keep my equipment safe, so I don't really care about bed length. Can somebody just give me a model and years it was produced and about what I should pay for one so I will know what to look for. I don't know what it's called. Also, if you have one like this and one like to post some pics, I'd be really interested to see what you guys are driving.

Thanks in advance for your help.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The only Trucks Toyota ever made that were tagged with the TRD logo and or came in a 4 door version are the Tacoma and the Tundra.

Tacoma 4 doors were offered from 2001 to present and were always equipped as follows: 2001 to 2004 V-6/4.3 engine 4 speed automatic, electronic locking r/r axle with TRD option, 4X4, 2X4's labled as Pre Runner.
2004 to present also have V-6 4.0, with new body style and the TRD package now has a sport option.

Tundra 4 door always had a V-8, engine size change depending on yr model (not sure what yr was change point) TRD was an option on 4 door models.

Toyota never made anything smaller than the Tacoma with a TRD package and never put any engine smaller than the 3.4 V-6 in any 4 door model truck (U.S. only).
4 door Tacoma's also only came with an automatic transmission.

TRD stickers can be bought through most dealerships and many places on-line for less than $40 and at one point were the most popular addition to Toyota trucks for a few years. Many unsuspecting buyers paid more than they should have for a truck only equipped with TRD stickers and not the option package which normally raises the truck price an average of $1000 (for used).

TRD option first became available on the 1998 model year Tacoma trucks.

If your looking for a Toyota truck with the 2300 4cyl engine you will need to look at extra cabs and std cabs, this engine was available in Deluxe trucks from 1984 to 1987 Square body style, then 1988 to 1994 rounded corner body style, and Tacoma trucks from 1996 to 2004.

Related Content You Might Like: