• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Ethanol is destroying your fuel system - or is it? Debate!

TrailLeadr

Gas prices here are averagging around 2.80 some places are cheaper but I try to get my gas where there is no ethonal in it
Probably a good idea. Even though it is sometimes cheaper, the avg mpg usually drops a little with the ethanol. So you're back getting gas sooner anyway.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
The reason why I get gas where there is no ethonol in it my truck runs a lot better it don't tick ping with gas with out ethonol in it and I have also heard that it will stop your cat up and I aint about to go through that crap been there done that with a s10 I had

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ethanol is destroying your fuel system - or is it? Debate!

Moved these threads to Ethanol thread.

There is a huge amount of scientific evidence that all the extra ethanol, because as an alcohol it is corrosive, is eating up fuel systems. The higher up on ethanol that we go, the more problems we'll see in fuel systems and costly fuel-system repairs.

TrailLeadr

"Ethanol is destroying your fuel system - or is it? Debate!"

Dun..dun..dun!!!
Steve's starting controversy!

Well, I'm interested in knowing more about this if it's true.
Guess, I'll have to poke around and see what I can dig up.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
There have been cases here in va that I knoiw of the the gas station has gotten a shipment o gas in and the ethonol was mixed right or I should say the amount of ethonol was 10% and th cars and trucks that got the gas ran maybe a mile down the road and shut off come to find out from what I heard from a mechanic that's work on one the it put a waxy like coating over the injectors and starved the motor of fuel.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The Great Ethanol Scam!

Read this article, it's got lots of facts and evidence that Ethanol is in fact a corrosive additive that in a high enough percentage mixture can cause serious fuel system problems.

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/may2009/bw20090514_058678.htm

The Great Ethanol Scam

Not only is ethanol proving to be a dud as a fuel substitute but there is increasing evidence that it is destroying engines in large numbers

TrailLeadr

Interesting read. I checked Briggs and Stratton's website and could not find the following claim:
"as Briggs & Stratton's (BGG) Web site warns, "Ethanol-blended gasoline can attract moisture, which leads to separation and formation of acids during storage. Acidic gasoline can damage the fuel system of an engine while in storage. B&S strongly recommends removing ethanol-blended fuels from engine during storage."
Not sure why they would cite a comment like that and not link to it, but instead link to the stock ticker name.

So as long as you're not driving a FFV you should stay clear of even the 10% ethanol pumps. I actually hadn't given it much consideration. I have been thinking about buying at the local shell, where there's no ethanol and see what kind of mpg I get by comparison. But I just haven't done it yet.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
I've heard the same thing too, and in Washington we're going to likely go to a 15% ethanol blend. That's going to damage a LOT of older cars and everyone will freak. Congress will deny that they ever heard that it was a problem.

balihaisen

100 Posts
So your choice actually is between the environment and your engine? Isn't it ethanol is perceived as more environment friendly, but not engine friendly?

toyotasrule

100 Posts
I don't recall hearing anything about ethanol being not engine-friendly. As far as I know some of the newer cars were built to be able to be run on this kind of fuel. As far as regular gas engines, nowadays gas is offered with a certain percentage of ethanol in it to help it run cleaner.

Related Content You Might Like: