• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Detroit TrueTrack differentials for Tacomas

GearHead

100 Posts
Was just wondering if any members here with a 97-2003 4x4 taco have installed a Detroit TrueTrack front or rear differential on their truck. I want to upgrade my 2000 from stock and want to know if anyone has had any problems.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I ran a true track in the rear of my 99 for about a year, when it broke on the trail I put the factory TRD electronic I had taken out back in and it's run for over 8 years now. Personally I feel the factory electronic is a superior locker to the True trac.
I'd say look for a factory TRD locker r/r axle and swap the whole thing, you should be able to find one fairly easy since they were offered in Pre Runners and 4x4's, 4 Runners also had an electronic r/r option and the axle is similiar but uses a coil spring suspension, which might not be a bad idea if you could graft the coils over for use on your Tacoma.

GearHead

100 Posts
Interesting-- haven't heard from too many people that they like the TRD axle better. I guess if it works, it works. Nothing like trying to upgrade components and having them fail. Thanks for the insight, I'll look around.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The Factory "E" locker works better because of its selectability.
The True Trac causes issues when run on pavement by catching, and in off-road situations its not always better to be locked, when dealing with terraign like granite or slick rock where you already get good traction a locked axle can sometimes get you a broken axle, much like when running on pavement you need the tires to slip sometimes.

GearHead

100 Posts
The Factory "E" locker works better because of its selectability.
The True Trac causes issues when run on pavement by catching, and in off-road situations its not always better to be locked, when dealing with terraign like granite or slick rock where you already get good traction a locked axle can sometimes get you a broken axle, much like when running on pavement you need the tires to slip sometimes.
Makes sense now, thanks. I can see why this is the case.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
have you installed? what happen, success? let's share here :)
I ran a true track in the rear of my 99 for about a year, when it broke on the trail I put the factory TRD electronic I had taken out back in and it's run for over 8 years now. Personally I feel the factory electronic is a superior locker to the True trac.
I'd say look for a factory TRD locker r/r axle and swap the whole thing, you should be able to find one fairly easy since they were offered in Pre Runners and 4x4's, 4 Runners also had an electronic r/r option and the axle is similiar but uses a coil spring suspension, which might not be a bad idea if you could graft the coils over for use on your Tacoma.
True trac installation isnt hard if you have experience at building r/r diffs. But like I said I'd use a factory E locker.

Related Content You Might Like: