• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Determining Value ~ 1996 Toyota T-100 Sr5 W/ Head Gasket Problem

SPT100

Hi everyone,

The sad day has finally come where I need to sell my 1996 T-100 SR5. I am trying to determine its value. Kelly Bluebook comes in at just under $3500 for "good" condition, milage consideration, and all the features. It runs, but it has a head gasket problem in two places: It leaks oil to the exterior and coolant to one of the cylinders. It did not overheat, nor did the two fluids mix and create the "milkshake" look on the oil dipstick. The original head gasket was replaced by a dealership under the original recall.

Before the head gasket went, I put on new tires, shocks, alternator, charged the AC and repaired the in-dash heat/AC controller, full tune-up, bled and replaced the break fluid, and even replaced the light bulbs behind the dash that illuminate the gauges. I also fully detailed the interior and replaced the steering wheel with one from a salvage yard. I was in the process of fully rehabbing it to be my transportation for several years to come. It is pretty clean other than a few minor dents and scratches received over 20 years use.

I am not interested in the time or expense commitment of doing the repair myself. My head gasket repairing days are over. Done them, don't want to do another. Don't want to pay to have it done.

Finally my point: Based on demand of this vehicle, all the work I have done to it, and considering the major repair work that is needed, what do you think is a fair asking price? I have an motivated buyer, but he wants it for peanuts. I have a standing offer from a salvage yard for $1K sight unseen, but I think is has more value than that. The tires alone are $800 and still have the little nubs on them. The truck has mostly highway miles on it and has been driven in California its entire life.

I am committed to selling it. I do not wish to do any more work on it.

Thanks,

Steve

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
It runs, but it has a head gasket problem in two places: It leaks oil to the exterior and coolant to one of the cylinders. It did not overheat, nor did the two fluids mix and create the "milkshake" look on the oil dipstick. The original head gasket was replaced by a dealership under the original recall.

Finally my point: Based on demand of this vehicle, all the work I have done to it, and considering the major repair work that is needed, what do you think is a fair asking price? I have an motivated buyer, but he wants it for peanuts. I have a standing offer from a salvage yard for $1K sight unseen, but I think is has more value than that. The tires alone are $800 and still have the little nubs on them. The truck has mostly highway miles on it and has been driven in California its entire life.
How much is the head gasket estimate? Do you have any photos?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Plus @SPT100 , that's a very low salvage offer for that truck, considering how many are still on the road and how many owners want to replace stuff to keep their truck running. However, the salvage guy needs to make profit as well, just saying it's a balance between the two points.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
How much to replace head gasket? Is it something you can do? What about KBB price minus head repair if you don't want to do it. Just me thinking on the keyboard.

SPT100

How much is the head gasket estimate? Do you have any photos?
t100 copy.jpg

I was quoted $2K for the work from several shops because the said they really did not want to accept the job. The potential buyer's brother is a mechanic who claims he can fix anything. A gasket kit is $400-$500, another $100 or so for new head bolts, probably $120 for machining, magnaflux, etc. both heads (must do both on a V6), new water pump (if you're smart) $100. New oil, filter and coolant too. And then there is the time.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
View attachment 5046

I was quoted $2K for the work from several shops because the said they really did not want to accept the job. The potential buyer's brother is a mechanic who claims he can fix anything. A gasket kit is $400-$500, another $100 or so for new head bolts, probably $120 for machining, magnaflux, etc. both heads (must do both on a V6), new water pump (if you're smart) $100. New oil, filter and coolant too. And then there is the time.
Did anyone quote you the shop time to get this done? How many total miles on the truck again? I've done head gasket replacements before and got them done in 1/2 the book time one time ... and then 4/2 book time another, so if time is valuable to you (or you just don't want the aching back from doing this and I don't blame you!) then you're best bet is to find a buyer who's looking to do the work so he/she can have a shop truck, etc.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
My brother had a T-100 a while back. Unfortunately they are just not worth much here, but every market is different. The best place to get a used car or truck price is on NADA . The issue is that the truck needs work. You would have to subtract the price of the work from the NADA value.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
My brother had a T-100 a while back. Unfortunately they are just not worth much here, but every market is different. The best place to get a used car or truck price is on NADA . The issue is that the truck needs work. You would have to subtract the price of the work from the NADA value.
yeah, and you really have to subtract book price ... but you can hope that someone would want a deal of a truck knowing that they're going to do the work themselves and try to "beat the book" ... so they give you $1500 for it hoping that they can do the work themselves for $800-1000 and be into the truck total for like $2500 when NADA is at $3500 for the truck.

SPT100

Did anyone quote you the shop time to get this done? How many total miles on the truck again? I've done head gasket replacements before and got them done in 1/2 the book time one time ... and then 4/2 book time another, so if time is valuable to you (or you just don't want the aching back from doing this and I don't blame you!) then you're best bet is to find a buyer who's looking to do the work so he/she can have a shop truck, etc.
Just a quote for the whole job. 265,000 miles. Everything else on the truck is great. I just don't want to spend the time and effort of doing a head job. I've done three on various vehicles including an MR2 and I'm over it.

upatree64

Take these guy's advice if you don't want to fix it. Replace those new tires w/some decent used ones, try to get 12 to 15 out of it and use the tires to boost yourself when it's all said and done. Some of those buyers are not going to try to fix it either. Their going to put it on blocks and sell it off one part at a time. They will have no problem selling the parts either for a premium. My local FB Toyota sales pages are rolling with people buying and selling parts.

BuffaloBill

Your choices are replace the head gasket and have a $3500 truck or you can an sell it for parts. Sadly everything else you did is moot in the car business. Best of luck to you.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
As has been pointed out all the work youve done and care youve taken of this truck is negated by the work it presently requires.
The market for parts for these trucks is actually stronger than the market for the truck. The reason for this is because owners have an emotional interest that makes them take parts from a vehicle that's in better condition than the one presently own.
As a part out you could probably get close to $3500, as a sale with no parts removed around $1500.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The best offer will come from someone who will do the work themselves. No meat on the bone if they pay more than $1500 and have to spend $800 doing head gaskets and head machining plus labour
A long block replacement was what I did when head gasket went on my engine at 186000 miles

Related Content You Might Like: