• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Delivery Oil

Mike Stitcher

I have owned my 2016 Tacoma for 3.5 months. Mfg date was 10/15, early 2016. I thought I would have the oil change due to age not mileage (1200 only). I heard that the "delivery" oil is a break in oil and I should drive it for a year or the scheduled 10,000 mile with the delivery oil.
Any thoughts on this.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Not sure where you got the info on delivery oil.
My wifes 2015 RAV4 was at 3200 miles when she decided it had to have an oil change. A local dealer changed the oil for her free of charge through a Toyota maintenance program that came with the vehicle when purchased.
We later brought it to the selling dealer at 7500 miles for some unrelated work and they changed the oil free of charge as a courtesy.
At the selling dealership I personally know many of the mechanics, as were all Plank owners of the same Toyota Tacoma off road truck club since 2004.
The question of break in oils came up and if Toyota used them after the factory break-in, after the techs made a call to Toyota North America and the regional Toyota management they assured me Toyota changes the oil after break in but prior to dealer delivery.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Your dealer would be the best place to ask this question. The last thing you want to do, is void your warranty. That being said, brake in oil is a high zink oil. This oil is used for the first 1000 miles about, for a new or reman. engine build. The zink oil allows the rings, bearings, and cam or cams to set. Synthetic oil, is not brake in oil, and will not let the parts ware so they can set into place as they need to. All the auto manufactures do a pre brake in before they ship a new vehicle. The engines are run on a test stand and the fluids are changed before they installe the engine. If the owners manual says your oil changes are 10,000 miles, then I am sure you have full synthetic oil. Unless you are driving under dusty conditions, there is no reason to do oil changes early. Again, I can not stress enough, talk to your dealer about all of this.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Have you thought about changing the oil yourself? Not that hard to do and only requires a few tools. I do all my service on each of my vehicles - I like doing it and I know it's done right. Usually I do a first oil change early at 500 to 1000 miles then what ever the manufacturer recommends - I cut it in half. Some consider it a waste but I like doing it and it's my money. ;)

Mike Stitcher

Understand where you are coming from. I am also a DIYer. That is why I started this post. Old school you do not use oil that has been in the vehicle for over a year no matter the mileage.

Old School.

Mike perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else. I never do use old oil. 1st thing is old oil looses its viscosity even if it sits. 2nd It tends to burn quicker and leave scaring in the cylinders.
3rd its cheaper just to change the oil rather than change a blown rod.

Related Content You Might Like: