• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Coronavirus affected your travel plans? Gatherings? Car shows? Anyone know anyone who's gotten it?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Just wondering how the Coronavirus outbreak has affected you. Thus far I've not known anyone that's gotten it, but I did grow up about 1 mile from the Life Center nursing home that was hit very hard in Kirkland, Washington.

In fact, on Facebook my high school has an "in memoriam" page and I guess someone who graduated years before me (1976) got sick and died from it. I guess he would have been in his early 60's.

Plus I've been working on materials for my day job for 5 conferences/events that have either been canceled or postponed. That's a lot.

For vacation, I think we'll stay closer to home this year, try to avoid the heavy touristy places. Not out of fear, but one of my kids has a slightly low immune system, so why risk it?

How's everyone else holding up? Losing work? Gaining work?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Given that the director of the WHO has publicly stated that COVID-19 is the "Angel of Death" for older people, we have cancelled two planned trips, and suffered the cancellation costs (mostly from the airlines). We're both retired and in our 70s and don't wish to tempt fate. My wife is more concerned than me.

We won't be going to any activity where there are crowds of any size, including movie theaters.

We go grocery shopping real early in the morning when the stores are almost empty.

Should we decide to go somewhere, it will likely be some small towns with mom & pop restaurants. Concerned that lots of places may close for the duration though.

We're prepared to hunker down at home if need be, and re-stocked our pantry in the last 2 weeks.

Not pleased with the stock market, nor Washington's poor response to the virus.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Everything in my area of Virginia is pretty normal. Some colleges in the state have decided to stay out after Spring Break. I don't know of anyone sick with the Virus. Will continue my plan on staying away from large groups of people.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Not affeceted yet, but next month is the international festival. 5 days of music in out down town area. Bands from all over the world. I has not been canceled yet, but I just cant see it happening. Time will tell.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
The virus has now hit the Western Slope of Colorado (one verified case), but the local store shelves are already empty. Not only no toilet paper, but no canned beans and no bottled WATER! Do people think water will stop coming out of their faucets? WTF? Our local Kroger also had no bananas, no onions and no potatoes this morning. Madness.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Well we now have 77 cases, and 1 death in the state. None in my direct area though. Store shelves are a hit and miss. Just got back from WalMart. Several empty shelves, but I did get everything I needed, including bottled water, and that is mostly what I drink. As for work, all is normal for now anyway. I am not going to stock pile stuff just because of panic. I will get what I need and use regularly. That is what I did today. It is amazing how much people are paniced over this covad 19. Common sense has gone out of the window.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
We got really sick in December and my 15 year old who never runs a fever had a very high fever of like 103 and we had to take him to the ER to get fluids. Have never had to do that before. He had a dry cough, high fever, very fatigued. Came back negative for the flu. REALLY suspicious that this is "hitting" now.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Went to our Sam's Club this morning (no Costco here) Mon, 3/16. Many more people at 7:00 am than I've ever seen before. No bananas. No chicken. No pork. Most affordable food stuffs all gone. Minimal paper products. Lots of cereal, nuts & coffee. Hours of operation changing tomorrow: opening 2 hours later and closing an hour earlier. Local folks are scared to death.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
My daughter cancelled her domestic flight to visit with us. Obvious much of the virus has travelled via international flights and then on to domestic flights. Local ski resort closed Tuesday. I got my last runs in for the season. The abandoned chair lift gear in background,,,
IMG_6228.JPG

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Panic buying shows how uninformed folks are....There are massive storage facilities around North America but when panic buying sets in expect delays. There is toilet paper in storage,,shit loads of the stuff as well as just about everything else. I hauled out of some of these facilities some years ago.

Nearly every ounce of Kraft cheese product—from Velveeta to Kraft Singles—spends part of its life in a 680-pound container inside this 400,000-square-foot subterranean fridge. It’s not about aging, it’s about cheap storage: Moving refrigeration underground saves massive amounts of energy, since the temperature 100 feet down is a constant 58 degrees Fahrenheit. An aboveground pump sends 13,000 gallons of chilled brine through the system every day, keeping the warehouse at a cool 36 degrees. The Kraft facility is actually part of a massive complex that started as a limestone mine in 1946. (The mine is still operational, but a substantial earthen buffer shields the employees of Kraft and other companies from regular explosions.)
Kraft Foods Distribution Center Springfield Underground Springfield, Missouri

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Really bad overall hits. I built this page for a firm in town that does consulting for fortune 1000 companies around. Have a look.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looks like we're about to go into a deep recession, if not a depression. Seriously.

ChiefTRDSport

Given that the director of the WHO has publicly stated that COVID-19 is the "Angel of Death" for older people, we have cancelled two planned trips, and suffered the cancellation costs (mostly from the airlines). We're both retired and in our 70s and don't wish to tempt fate. My wife is more concerned than me.

We won't be going to any activity where there are crowds of any size, including movie theaters.

We go grocery shopping real early in the morning when the stores are almost empty.

Should we decide to go somewhere, it will likely be some small towns with mom & pop restaurants. Concerned that lots of places may close for the duration though.

We're prepared to hunker down at home if need be, and re-stocked our pantry in the last 2 weeks.

Not pleased with the stock market, nor Washington's poor response to the virus.
We’re in the same boat but Washington can only do so much. We’re in this predicament for two reasons; 1- THE VIRUS CAME FROM CHINA. 2-Past administrations, especially during Obama years, outsourced jobs and manufacturing (“They’re never coming back”; “What are you gonna do, wave a magic wand?”). You never put your eggs in one basket and that’s why near everything says “Made in China”. A law should have been passed decades ago limiting how much could be outsourced. I believe the current administration is doing everything humanly possible to get us out of this mess and thank God for President Trump to handle it. Stay safe and healthy.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
IMHO, the response to COVID-19 from Washington has been deplorable. The administration ignored/hid multiple intelligence reports in Jan & Feb that the virus could easily result in a pandemic, and we Americans are now suffering the results of the administration's inaction and fear. The lack of adequate PPE supplies for our medical people is getting worse, and the little that is being done to rectify that situation is slow & too late. You must stay home to stay healthy. Our world as we know it will be changed for a very long time.

Again, this is only my opinion.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I just learned someone I know is quarantining himself and 47 other employees to live on site for undetermined time to maintain Cannabis production. Now that’s dedication not to mention logistics to put the plan in motion overnight

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
The pot stores here in Colorado are faced with a dilemma: How to stay in business under the new COVID-19 restraints & rules. In order to keep selling pot, some stores are building drive-thru additions to their buildings. But, these drive-thrus must have doors on both ends that open & close so that the transaction is "indoors" as pot cannot be sold outside. I give them credit for creative thinking.

ChiefTRDSport

IMHO, the response to COVID-19 from Washington has been deplorable. The administration ignored/hid multiple intelligence reports in Jan & Feb that the virus could easily result in a pandemic, and we Americans are now suffering the results of the administration's inaction and fear. The lack of adequate PPE supplies for our medical people is getting worse, and the little that is being done to rectify that situation is slow & too late. You must stay home to stay healthy. Our world as we know it will be changed for a very long time.

Again, this is only my opinion.
I hear ya. However, Trump took action end of Jan to ban travel to/from China and was called racist, bigot, etc. My opinion is that action was being taken but hampered by politicians, mostly those who love open borders, in allowing him to do what he wanted. He even took heat from people from banning EU travel. Most of those politicians need to go IMHO.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Im still working for now. Louisiana, has 585 cases, with 16 deaths as of 10:00 AM on 3/27/20. They just started drive-in testing 3 or 4 days ago. Those results wont be in for days. It is unbelievable that Louisiana has almost as many deaths as California when we only have about 1.5 million people in our state.

Related Content You Might Like: