• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Check out these cool tires. The end for inflatable tires? Polaris TerrainArmor

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Just saw this online, what's everyone think?

Polaris TerrainArmor test ride

The WV 850 H.O. is the world’s first ATV to feature the company’s innovative new non-pneumatic TerrainArmor integrated wheel and tire, which use a flexible plastic web instead of an inflated rubber carcass to support the tread.

No bolt-on accessory, the WV 850 H.O. had to be specifically engineered to work with TerrainArmor and was originally developed for use by U.S. Special Forces, who don’t have a whole lot of time to fix flats and have better things to carry into the field than spare tires.

Polaris says the TerrainArmor tires can be punctured by something as large as a railroad spike, or pierced by a .50 caliber bullet, and keep going for hundreds of miles. In fact, the plastic web can sustain up to 30 percent damage and still work. Even if you get a couple of small holes in the tread, Polaris says there’s no need to replace or repair them.

Aside from some electronic gear, the civilian version of the ATV is identical to the one used by the troops, including its military-spec automatic transmission, power steering and 77 hp 850cc two-cylinder engine. That’s more horses than some cars. (Well, two very small cars: The Smart ForTwo and Mitsubishi Mirage, but still.)

It needs it. Along with a standard 3,000-pound winch, the WV 850 H.O. has steel cargo racks front and rear that can carry a combined 600 pounds, and a tow rating of 1,500 pounds. The entire package tips the scales at a hefty 1,114 pounds.

Brad

100 Posts
They look good and all, but I don't think they look appealing. Personally, I think they're ugly, but that's just me.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, forget about the fact that it's definitely a look that we're not used to, read about the performance of them. Can be damaged up to 30% of the tread (I think that's what the article is trying to say) and can even be shot by a .50 cal (which is a massive round) and still keep going?

Honestly, the one thing that I don't see in there is an estimate of the treadlife of the tire. Do they last 30,000 miles or something like that? Can they go at freeway speed? What's the max weight that you can build that to and what will the cost be out the door?

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
that second picture of the military-looking atv looks like it's pretty heavy and rugged. what size are those tires by the way and i wonder why they have to come rims and all, just built that way I guess?

Wonder what happens when you drive through standing water and maybe even have to stop in a little bit of standing water, that's got to get in there as it's all open.

Brad

100 Posts
Yeah, forget about the fact that it's definitely a look that we're not used to, read about the performance of them. Can be damaged up to 30% of the tread (I think that's what the article is trying to say) and can even be shot by a .50 cal (which is a massive round) and still keep going?

Honestly, the one thing that I don't see in there is an estimate of the treadlife of the tire. Do they last 30,000 miles or something like that? Can they go at freeway speed? What's the max weight that you can build that to and what will the cost be out the door?
It's madness to think it can take a gunshot and still keep going. A gunshot to a normal tire would just instantly pop it.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Still would like to see what mpg per freeway mph ratings would be for maybe the equililant of a 33" tire.

Related Content You Might Like: