• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Arizona 4x4 Trails and Backroads Books

Ollis

So I purchased "Guide to Arizona Back Roads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 2nd Edition" a few months back. It has a TON of back roads and information about each trail. So far I have gone with a few 4x4 friends to some of the medium and some of the difficult roads. I have yet to take Ol' Red out on a maiden 4x4 voyage. I would like to hear if some of you have some sort of opinion on this, and if some of you have taken any of the state trails then what's your opinion on how the old 1981 will hold up. Granted, I am not trying to do this tomorrow, I am still breaking in the new engine. But if anyone has any advice before I partake then please give me a shout...

Below is a direct link to the book I am referring to:
http://amzn.com/1934838195

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ive only gotten to do a few trails in Arizona, near Ozona, and Kartchner caverns, and it was many years ago, early 80's.
Always wanted to go back and do more but never had the time.
Ol Red should handle the trails fine as long as you take your time, go with groups for safety, and make sure your well prepared.
The odd stuck or trailside repair is what makes these trips memorable.
Ive got a couple books like that on different states, the neat thing about them is if the writer did a good job on them you can learn about trails and places locally you never knew existed.
I have a book for my local area and we found a perfect creek with a meadow thats great for swimming and fishing only 10 miles from the house in a place Ive been driving past for 10 years and never knew existed.

U. S. Navy Airframer?

Ollis

Good eye, most don't know what those mean, especially since they changed the way they look now. I did ten years in. It helped give me the edge on fixing this truck like no body's bisuness.
So far I've done Crown King, Harquahala, and some others west of Phoenix. I plan on doing one when I can find the right guys to go. I wouldn't go alone, no doubt about that. Plus I make it a camping trip.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Retired Navy, 17yrs Enlisted, AMEAR to AFCM as Aircrew and 5 yrs Commissioned CWO1 to CWO3 as a Aviation Maintenance Officer.
I always tell people if you really want to learn to be a Jack of all trades join the Navy, youll learn how to do more than you ever thought possible.
I never made it down around Phoenix, most of the trails I ran werent far from Ca. And could be done on a two or three day weekend.

Ollis

I know that there are a bunch of these books. I am not sure If they are all from the same company, but the one who does this book does Utah, California, Colorado and Arizona to my knowledge. It's worth a Google.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I just did a quick search on Amazon and it does in fact look like there is at least a decent-sized series of books with the same (or some of the same) authors, all with the "guide to {state/region} backroads"

51Kq1Cmd7rL._SY346_.jpg
Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4x4 Trails

513X4K245-L._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Northern-California-Backroads-4-Wheel-Trails/dp/0966497651/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376081402&sr=1-3"]Guide to Northern California Backroads & 4x4 Trails
[/URL]

Looks like there is a whole group of books put out by Charles A. Wells (click for his Amazon.com page).

Charles A. Wells graduated from Ohio State University in 1969 with a degree in graphic design. After practicing design in Ohio, he moved to Colorado Springs in 1980 and worked 18 years in the printing business. Over the years, he and his family enjoyed a wide array of outdoor activities including hiking, biking, rafting and skiing. He bought an SUV in 1994 and immediately got addicted to exploring the backcountry. He later joined a four-wheel-drive club and learned more about hardcore four-wheeling.
Dissatisfied with the four-wheel-drive guidebooks on the market, he decided to write his own. His first book on Colorado sold well enough for him to leave his regular job to write full time. He presently has six SUV/Jeeping books on the market-two on Colorado, one on Moab, one on Arizona and two on California, visit www.funtreks.com. He also started down a new path with a brand new ATV book on… Read more
efebc060ada027b1add91210.L._V192565941_.jpg

Last edited:

Ollis

Very nice dig! Yeah, these books give everything someone needs to get knee deep in trail riding. It gives you GPS coordinates, trail rating from easy to very experienced only and everything in between, from key sites and lookouts to just the history of the area. I would recommend them without hesitation. Try and pick up the spiral bound by the way.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Looks like they are all West Coast, Mountain states and some Southwest states in his series. Must have wanted to give himself the ability to do there and drive these trails while keeping his full-time job. That's not a bad gig.

Ollis

Yeah, some people find a nitch and run with it. My brother writes articles for a paper in the sports column. His job: to go to every college stadium in the u.s. and get paid to write about it. Who's gonna turn that down? Guys like that never work a day in their life. And... where were these jobs when the high school councilor was guiding my future? I would have started there!

Last edited:

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Yeah, some people find a nitch and run with it. My brother writes articles for a paper in the sports column. His job: to go to every college stadium in the u.s. and get paid to write about it. Who's gonna turn that down? Guys like that never work a day in their life. And... where were these jobs when the high school councilor was guiding my future? I would have started there!
No kidding. Beats having to run around all over the region trying to keep sales moving and customers happy. :)

Related Content You Might Like: