• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Anyone remodel an attic?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
We're running out of room, but we have a fairly high and large attic - would be perfect for an attic conversion.

Anyone done this before? I'm not interested in doing any of the work, I would rather do a side website project instead of hurting my back more. We have the subfloor almost ready to go, and the celiing joist is ready as well. I'm guessing that without any structural work we would have a 350 square foot addition.

If we move the heater and AC down that will give us up to 500 square feet. We could build on a bathroom and other type of storage where the roof pitch gets low.

Just some ideas - have a new baby so we're not going anywhere for at least a year or more. The place is packed as is and we're stacking tubs of clothes in the dining room because we have no place else to go.

MD_Weems

100 Posts
My dad used to do those anywhere we lived - that and a huge shop outside... lol. In fact, he did that to a few storage buildings too. Its hard to imagine needing tons of space like that until you have to have it and are scrambling to get it. I know that he did all the work himself, he is really good at that. I don't think he ever did a bathroom up in an attic remodel, but Ac/Heat was a must. I can do a lot of things "remodel" wise as we own a ton of rent houses that we end up fixing or remodeling before we rent out, but that one is probably beyond my league....

redneckgirl

TTC Chicks
We had a small cabin where we turned the attic into storage to open up room downstairs. We basically just insulated between studs and slapped some plywood over it. It was nothing fancy but freed up a lot of space in the lower floor and sometimes guests would just sleep up there in their sleeping bags. Since the fireplace was downstairs, the attic stayed p retty warm.

GearHead

100 Posts
Should work fine, just be sure that the ceiling joists that are in place can support an added load up there-- if they are 2x4 at 24" on center you really don't want to span much more than 10 ft for instance. I've got about 5 years of experience doing that stuff. Also be sure to use ply instead of OSB for the floor.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm not certain but there either 2x 8 or 10 inch and I'm not sure how far apart are but I could go check the probably designs to have a floor put there.

GearHead

100 Posts
I'm not certain but there either 2x 8 or 10 inch and I'm not sure how far apart are but I could go check the probably designs to have a floor put there.
They won't be more than 24" apart, so that is fine. 2x8 or 2x10 is plenty beefy, floor it up! :).

redneckgirl

TTC Chicks
You also might want to look into those pre-fabbed sheds/houses. They look like little playhouses but they can be used for guests or just junk. If it's cheaper or easier, that might be the way to go.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
You also might want to look into those pre-fabbed sheds/houses. They look like little playhouses but they can be used for guests or just junk. If it's cheaper or easier, that might be the way to go.
You know, I thought about that too but at a certain size a permit is required and I don't want to mess with that. I have a new neighbor who's a general contractor and I might see if he wants to do the electrical line and HVAC and all of the interior finish work if I do decide to go that route.

redneckgirl

TTC Chicks
I didn't think about that. my folks had neighbors complain once because they put in an underground electric fence for their dog and the fence line (that you can't see), was touching their easement.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I didn't think about that. my folks had neighbors complain once because they put in an underground electric fence for their dog and the fence line (that you can't see), was touching their easement.
people are too petty. My neighbor's sprinklers are actually on my property by like 3 or 4 inches. If I build a fence there I'm not going to make them dig them up, I'll just slant the fence so they get about 6 inches where the sprinklers are and I get 6 inches up where I need it.

GearHead

100 Posts
If you are off the beaten path at all I wouldn't worry about permits, unless your neighbors don't like you. A shed or smaller guest space can be built for relatively cheap if you pour a small slab. I'd only worry about permits if a) you are in a place where it can be seen easily or b) if you plan on selling the house any time soon. Worst case scenario you have to tear it out when you sell the house.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ever get that attic finished?
Were in the process of remodeling all the rooms in our house right now, and while we dont especially need any extra rooms I figured since we have a full stand-up attic and I need to do some insulation work up there I may as well add floor boards and some drywall.
I figure when I'm done it'll make for a great storage room and hopefully it can help the resale in a few years.

Harvey

We did an attic remodel a couple of years back and one of the things we didn't consider until last minute was the insulation factor. If you have a builder buddy it might be worth getting him to take a look at it before you get started, could save you doing more work than you have to.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The baby came last year so that killed any chance of that. I might look into it again this summer.

balihaisen

100 Posts
Try craigslist. There are services there that offers remodeling at affordable price. Well, I have not tried it myself.

gladden

Throw the useless stuff. Give away to neighbors and to charity things that can still be used. I'm sure, you'll have plenty of room in the attic in no time.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
One of my friend has very impressive attic he remodel it and serve as there music room for his band..

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I think we're looking at just moving to a new house actually. Funny that I came across this thread.

Related Content You Might Like: