• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'97 Sr5 Anyone Have Trouble Replacing Bilstein Shocks, Like I Have?

Duckman

I changed out my old Bilstein shocks with new 4600 shocks. The top nut on rear shocks almost impossible to get to. Plus the bracket the top rear connects to filled with dirt and almost impossible to get to. Had to use an Allen wrench socket in the top of the shock shaft to put new shocks on and bend a 17mm wrench to keep nut from turning, after cutting a hole in the body from the wheel well so I could get to get to the top shaft and nut.
took me two days to put on the rear shocks.
Front shocks easier but had to put spring compressor back on to get bottom bolt to line up.
Am I the only one that had a hassle putting Bilstein on?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I changed out my old Bilstein shocks with new 4600 shocks. The top nut on rear shocks almost impossible to get to. Plus the bracket the top rear connects to filled with dirt and almost impossible to get to. Had to use an Allen wrench socket in the top of the shock shaft to put new shocks on and bend a 17mm wrench to keep nut from turning, after cutting a hole in the body from the wheel well so I could get to get to the top shaft and nut.
took me two days to put on the rear shocks.
Front shocks easier but had to put spring compressor back on to get bottom bolt to line up.
Am I the only one that had a hassle putting Bilstein on?
That's a little surprising because I've actually heard a lot of people do this swapping out.

How long is a project was this for you? Did you get any pictures during the process?

Jarred

100 Posts
I thought too this should be easy. Have you checked some videos for some tips and tricks?

Related Content You Might Like: