• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

94 Toyota Pickup Won't Start

inkdaddy66

I've got fuel and spark. Checked all relays and fuses. All good. Fuel is also at plugs but truck will not turn over. Only way I can get it to turn over is if I manually inject fuel into throttle body. I need a few pointers and some help to get this thing running. Thanks ahead of time.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Should be marked, but if the engine is dirty it may be hard to find the markings.

How many miles?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
4cyl = 22RE
First thing I'd do is change the fuel filter.
Then I'd get a fuel pressure test set from Auto Zone and check the fuel pressures.
If the fuel pressures check good then it's time to start looking at the spark, could be a bad cap, bad wires, even a bad ground for the ignition system can cause weak spark.

inkdaddy66

I changed the spark plugs,cap,wires and rotor already. I will check out the fuel filter as I usually replace that for a tune up anyways. Thanks for the pointers. What is the proper fuel pressure I should be looking for?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Man dont remember the fuel pressure specs, I want to say it should run around 55psi.
Do you have a spark testor? If not you can probably borrow one of those from Auto Zone too.
The 22RE engine is a durable engine, unfortunately 94, the last year of the Deluxe truck had a lot of electricals added to it which was a pain.
I would check and clean every electrical ground for the engine, I've seen these engines run poorly due to bad grounds, it affects the injection system.
This is truely one of those engines that if it gets enough fuel, air, and spark it'll run, maybe not well but it'll run across the country in poor condition.

inkdaddy66

Man dont remember the fuel pressure specs, I want to say it should run around 55psi.
Do you have a spark testor? If not you can probably borrow one of those from Auto Zone too.
The 22RE engine is a durable engine, unfortunately 94, the last year of the Deluxe truck had a lot of electricals added to it which was a pain.
I would check and clean every electrical ground for the engine, I've seen these engines run poorly due to bad grounds, it affects the injection system.
This is truely one of those engines that if it gets enough fuel, air, and spark it'll run, maybe not well but it'll run across the country in poor condition.
thanks once again. I have a spark tester and a pressure tester as well. This truck isn't a delux though. No AC. No power windows. Its bone dry.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
All those trucks were called Deluxe, that was Toyota's model designation for them.
In standard cab configuration none of them came with any extras, you added them on at the dealership.
89 thru 94 Toyota std cab trucks were all manufactured in Japan, then shipped without a bed to Freemont Ca. where they were built-up.
Build up consisted of putting in the interior, gas tank, bed, and any option packages the truck would get i.e. SR5. The truck was then sent to the dealer who would add A/C and power windows. The only other option added at the factory was wing windows, those couldnt be ordered you either had them or you didnt, very few Xtra cab trucks got wing windows they were mostly on the STD cab trucks. Just a little trivia for ya.
Back in the 80's and early 90's I used to watch the Toyota car carriers steam past the NAS Alameda Aircraft Carrier piers like there would never be an end to the line of them, we'd see as many as 15 a day some days.

antonino

100 Posts
I think if I were you, I'll start looking
at the spark, could be a bad cap, bad wires, even a bad ground for the ignition system can cause weak spark. I can't agree more with tbplus10.

Silkeepjs

In your post you started this thread with, you said you have fuel and spark, but it won't start. I have a 94 as well, when i had this issue, it was a bad Distributor =/

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
In your post you started this thread with, you said you have fuel and spark, but it won't start. I have a 94 as well, when i had this issue, it was a bad Distributor =/
Did you replace that and it solved your problems?

jtanner

Seems like the OP has already abandoned his thread. Well I just hope that he has already solved his problem. I would feel bad for him if he was not able to resolve his problem.

OP, hope you update us. :)

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I've got fuel and spark. Checked all relays and fuses. All good. Fuel is also at plugs but truck will not turn over. Only way I can get it to turn over is if I manually inject fuel into throttle body. I need a few pointers and some help to get this thing running. Thanks ahead of time.

Hi, Ho are you any updates, Howdid you get this figured out?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, this is a highly viewed thread, wish the op would return. Anyone care to speculate or chime in?

Related Content You Might Like: