• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

94 single cab 4x4 questions

Brads94

Are there any issues I need to be aware of on a 93 4x4 (4 cylinder) engine approaching 200,000 miles? Any specific maintenance or tune up items I should be doing separate from the oil and plugs?

Brads94

Are there any issues I need to be aware of on a 93 4x4 (4 cylinder) engine approaching 200,000 miles? Any specific maintenance or tune up items I should be doing separate from the oil and plugs?
Oops I meant it’s a 94. It’s early here and my coffee hasn’t kicked in yet!

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
If you are not original owner I would be changing out all the gear oil in diffs, transfer case and transmission. Commonly over looked. Not unusual to find water in rear diff if truck been launching boats.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If you don't have a record of it being changed Id do the timing belt and while you have it apart the water pump.
That 22RE engine is tough to damage, but those two items can do it. Along with a full fluid change.
As much as I love my 99 Tacoma TRD (owned it since it was new) I regret selling my 94 Deluxe std cab 4cyl truck in 2000 after the wife convinced me I didn't need it since I had the new Tacoma.
Mine was a 4wd dark blue std cab that had Atlanta Toyota's "Lightning" 4 wheel drive package that added a pearl overcoat, outlaw mag wheels, 31" All terrain tires, bed liner, air conditioning (at that time A/C was a dealer added item), power windows and locks (dealer added since it wasn't a std cab option) and Chrome lightning bolt accents (that were quickly removed within 2 days of purchasing the truck new). Sadly since I spent most of my time between 1994 and 2000 deployed the truck only had 23,000 miles when I sold it after 6 years.

Bernie s

i have a 1984 , I put new rims and new tires, 31" on 15" rims. they put the powder in the tire for balancing it but I still get the odd shake once in a while, everything is tight in the suspension also I would like to add the electric power steering to it because its a diesel that I have. can anyone help?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Bernie is that a Factory North American model Diesel or a modified engine swap?
The balancing powder does an ok job, but if your running 31's I'm not sure why the tire shop chose to use the powder unless their lazy. 31's are a fairly easy tire to balance the conventional way, and with a tire that size its the preferred method. The powder is great for large tires (36 and up), but will never give a balance as good as placed weights.
Since its a 1984 you have a solid front axle, there are a few aftermarket power steering kits that will work with Diesel engines. Some of the old Land Cruiser Diesel power steering parts will work on your truck.

Related Content You Might Like: