• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'88 5 Speed Trans Woes

2tuff

Here's a quick rundown...

Got the truck last spring.

Started having troubles shifting into gear. Hard to find gears, physically difficult to get into first.

Discovered it was low on clutch fluid. Added fluid. No fix.

Replaced master cylinder and bled well. No fix.

Installed Aisin clutch kit. No change.

What's currently happening is...

I can find all gears with the engine off, no problem. While engine running, I can not slip into any gear, all meet with much resistance. I can start to slip into reverse, but then it clinks the teeth, so I stop.

I have the trans out on the bench. I've never taken one apart before. Any resources you guys have? I'm really just looking to take a look at the synchro gears. Are they easy to access?

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I can only suggest air in hydraulic system but since you have the transmission on bench check shifter bushings. Never done it or touched a transmission however I know the bushings were a common problem with these transmissions jumping out of gear. Can also make them difficult to shift I'm told. I seriously doubt it's the transmission as you are having problems in all gears.
You are ambitious getting the transmission on the bench.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The shifter bushings are a common issue that creates a problem similiar to yours.
Don't quote me on this but I believe Marlin Cjeweski of Marlin Crawlers, out of Washington state has parts for this trans. I know they have more repair and modification experience than possibly even the Toyota engineers.

fleeter

Is that a G52 transmission you have in your 88 Model? You may want to look into trading in that Trans and get a rebuilt one from High Gear at Memphis Tennessee with a 12 month warranty. They wanted $800 + shipping for a W56 that goes in my 91 model 4x4..

Rusty Yota

The shifter bushings are a common issue that creates a problem similiar to yours.
Don't quote me on this but I believe Marlin Cjeweski of Marlin Crawlers, out of Washington state has parts for this trans. I know they have more repair and modification experience than possibly even the Toyota engineers.
Yeah i had that problem and me and my dad fixed it, also sometimes it can be the clutch but not in your case

Related Content You Might Like: