• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

'87 22r wants to stay running when you shut off ignition

ghostcivic

well Ive had lots of cars but this is my 1st yota truck.
I have a '87 22r 4wd. Its a pretty rough truck really, but does start/run goes down the road.

One issue that I dont know how to fix is that it wants to keep running after you shut off the ignition. Problem is more likely after its been run longer/harder (ie, trail driving)
Sometimes it tries but then quits on its own. Other times I have to hold the brake and dump the clutch to stall the motor.

Now, it has 211k on it, and had sat for 4 months before I bought it. My guess is that it would be a carb issue. But even though Ive had many cars, they were all EFI. I cant say I know how to work on a carb.

Is this an issue where it just needs to be cleaned?
Or is the issue not even related to the carb?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Are we talking a diesling issue? If thats the case look at the timing.
The carb will continue to pour air and fuel in the engine as long as theres a draw i.e. the engine turning over.
The engine can continue to run roughly without spark if the timings off and it can use friction and compression to ignite like a diesel engine.
The other possibility is you have a bad ignition switch thats not shutting power to the ign. module.

ghostcivic

Are we talking a diesling issue? If thats the case look at the timing.
The carb will continue to pour air and fuel in the engine as long as theres a draw i.e. the engine turning over.
The engine can continue to run roughly without spark if the timings off and it can use friction and compression to ignite like a diesel engine.
The other possibility is you have a bad ignition switch thats not shutting power to the ign. module.
I believe dieseling would be the correct term for what it is doing. I assume these have timing chains?
when it does this it does run rough...not normal running as tho the ignition switch was bad.

unrelated question...can you advance the ignition timing on these? Did that once on a 89 honda accord and it really woke up the low end power. Seemed like it brought the power band down 500rpms. On the accord I could just rotate the distributor cap.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
You can but on the 22r it never really woke the engine up like it does on other engines.
A loose or stretched timing chain could also be your problem here, she does look to have some miles on her and nothing, not even a toyota lasts forever.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
This is true, nothing lasts forever, have you had any more time to look into these issues over the past few days?

Ken Michael

Someone said that there's a solenoid in the carb. Could that be true? And if so could it be not closing when the engine is shutdown? If no fuel can enter the cylinders then the engine cannot "diesel".
I've never heard of a shutoff valve(solenoid) in a carb, but there are wires going to it for more than just an electric choke. Just a thought jogger.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ive been around Toyota trucks since 1980 and this would be the first time Ive ever heard of a solenoid in the carb that shuts off fuel.
The valves actually shut fuel to a cylinder, and as long as the engine rotates the valves are gonna open and allow a fuel air mix to enter the cylinder.
The choke system really only regulates air which causes a rich condition when it decreases the amount of air allowed in.

James

100 Posts
Some excellent advice on this thread. I hope your 1987 Toyota gives you another 10 years.

Related Content You Might Like: