• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

22r Carb Fuel Issue

pir^2h

I have a 1985 (titled as but actually a 1984 pickup) Dolphin Motor Home with a 22R carb engine. It has always been hard to start and I let it sit for years then it wouldn't start at all! It had no fuel in the sight glass but the fuel pump was working (I actually replaced it years ago thinking it may be the problem). I figured the carb all along was the problem. Giving this I purchased a new (rebuilt) carb. Installed it and after the initial priming it started.

Here is my problem...It is still hard to start without priming first or cranking it to what I consider an excessive amount. We have also pulled the fuel tank and checked the screen inside there, all good, changed the fuel filter, and replaced the hose parts of the fuel line.

Anyone ran into this issue with the 22R engine? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Vic

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Even when new the 22r was a balky starting engine. I had a basic 1986 Toyota Deluxe pickup with the 22r and 4spd manual, bought new in April of 1986, from day one it took a little cranking to get started.
A couple items I did that helped were, added an in-line fuel filter with an anti back siphon valve, and replaced the automatic choke with a manual version.
I bought the parts for both mods from J.C. Whitney.
As I said these items helped some but didn't totally get rid of the problem.

pir^2h

Thanks for that information tbplus 10. We (my son and I) had discussed putting in an fuel check valve on the fuel line but was unsure of where it would be the most effective. He thinks near the fuel tank but I am more inclined to put it in the engine compartment on the fuel line near the wheel well. I might also look into that manual choke. Had to imagine Toyota coming out with an engine with a problem like that on a new vehicle, knowing it exists and not having a fix available.

I acquired the motor home with 173,000 miles on it in 2007 so I have no ideal if it ever was right from the beginning. The price was right...free! I just had to fix it so I could drive it home. New batteries and a lot of ether and cranking and it was ready to roll!

Vic

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I tried both places on my check valve and found it to be most effective nearer the engine.
Even when new, for some reason these fuel systems suffered from pressure loss. It acts much like a vapor lock or pressure leak problem in a newer high pressure system with injectors.

pir^2h

Thanks for the information on the placement of the check valve. My son seems to think the fuel return line to the tank is why there is little to no gas available after shut off that it may be siphoning it back into the tank. I don't know! I no mechanic! I just couldn't find anyone around here willing to work on the carb or I would probably have taken it in. You could even tell the Toyota dealership was reluctant to service it. Independent servicers will gladly work on the motor, transmission, brakes, clutch etc., just not the carb. I will see how it all goes over the next couple weeks.

Vic

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Thanks for that information tbplus 10. We (my son and I) had discussed putting in an fuel check valve on the fuel line but was unsure of where it would be the most effective. He thinks near the fuel tank but I am more inclined to put it in the engine compartment on the fuel line near the wheel well. I might also look into that manual choke. Had to imagine Toyota coming out with an engine with a problem like that on a new vehicle, knowing it exists and not having a fix available.

I acquired the motor home with 173,000 miles on it in 2007 so I have no ideal if it ever was right from the beginning. The price was right...free! I just had to fix it so I could drive it home. New batteries and a lot of ether and cranking and it was ready to roll!

Vic
Hard to beat that price. What's the condition like? Pics?

pir^2h

The condition wasn't bad at all. I got it from my seventh grade math teacher that I have kept in contact with all these years (like 45+ years since I was in her classroom). It smelled of moth balls when I got it but that eventually faded away. The hot water heater leaked then as it does now and the refrigerator (runs on AC/12V/LP) quit working some time when we had it parked, the stove still works, but hey, when your camping who cares about those things! Now if I were making a cross country tour that may be another story! (By the way, I am a math teacher myself)

I am somewhat of a computer illiterate so is there instructions on here somewhere on how to post photos?

Vic

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The condition wasn't bad at all. I got it from my seventh grade math teacher that I have kept in contact with all these years (like 45+ years since I was in her classroom). It smelled of moth balls when I got it but that eventually faded away. The hot water heater leaked then as it does now and the refrigerator (runs on AC/12V/LP) quit working some time when we had it parked, the stove still works, but hey, when your camping who cares about those things! Now if I were making a cross country tour that may be another story! (By the way, I am a math teacher myself)

I am somewhat of a computer illiterate so is there instructions on here somewhere on how to post photos?

Vic
Wow, that's an amazing story. Take pics and get them on your computer and then use the "Upload a FIle" button on every new reply that you type in and you can upload pics into your reply. Or you can add them to the media gallery and then link to there.

Related Content You Might Like: