• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2011 Toyota Sienna Review - The Best Minivan in the World

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok, I've driven (and been driven around in) a 2011 Toyota Sienna for a short while, and my first reaction is "WOW", how could Toyota make the best minivan even better? I'm not sure how they did it, but they sure did.

It was only since 2004 that the current Sienna took shape and became a world-class contender for the title of "The Best Minivan in the World". It was only a few years ago that the Chrysler Town & Country introduced very novel concepts like advanced seating (like Stow & Go) and more serious rear entertainment for passengers. Toyota has taken this concept and gone a step further.

Car & Driver says, "
In our last minivan comparison test, the Sienna, despite being a three-year-old design, placed second, beating out the current-generation Dodge Grand Caravan and falling behind the Honda Odyssey. We marveled at the Sienna’s luxurious demeanor but leveled criticism at its flaccid responses and boring, anonymous character. It seems Toyota may have heard our complaints, because the redesigned 2011 Toyota Sienna has upped the sportiness quotient in driving dynamics and looks.
A Highly Adaptive Living Room
Built on the same platform as its predecessor and riding on the same 119.3-inch wheelbase, the new Sienna is marginally wider but nearly an inch shorter overall. Exterior styling is all-new and far less anonymous than before; we might even go so far as to call it attractive. The shape is especially slippery, too; Toyota claims a low 0.31coefficient of drag. The newfound style continues inside, where sweeping lines look more interesting and modern than the upright and conservative design of the previous Sienna. Interior plastics are pleasing to the eye, but touching them reveals a hard and slightly cheap-feeling texture.
As one would expect in a minivan, storage space abounds—two glove boxes, massive door pockets, more cup holders than there are seats (12 on eight-passenger models and 10 on seven-passenger versions), a sliding storage console between the front seats, and even a place to store your purse (or European carryall) on the floor. A 60/40 split third-row bench collapses easily into the floor and only requires one hand to fold or deploy. Second-row captain’s chairs, however, don’t fold into the floor like Chrysler’s Stow ’n Go setup, which may turn off some buyers. Eight-passenger versions of the Sienna come with a tiny “jump seat” that fits between the second-row seats. Uncomfortable, cramped, and perhaps only suitable for a child, the center seat is—thankfully—easily removed and stores in the wall of the cargo compartment. The good news is that the full-size second-row seats are well padded, have adjustable backrests, can be moved fore-and-aft, and are quite comfortable. Third-row space and comfort are also good enough for adults, as long as the second-row occupants don’t slide their seats all the way back. Top-of-the-line Limited models come with manually adjustable “recliner style” second-row seats that have footrests. For an adult-sized person to take advantage of the seat’s reclining and footrest function, the passenger-side front seat must slide forward toward the dash. Basically, no one will be able to fit in front of or behind the reclined second-row seat.
Passenger comfort also extends to the optional rear-seat entertainment system. Toyota has fitted a wide, 16.4-inch screen that can display two separate images from two separate sources. For example, the right side of the screen can be showing a movie while the left portion of the screen displays a video game. If only one input is utilized, the image can be stretched across the entire screen or displayed on the left or right of the screen. Unlike the Chrysler minivans, however, Toyota does not offer satellite television.
Heightened Reflexes
Toyota offers five trim levels (base, LE, SE, XLE, and Limited) on the Sienna. Base and LE versions come standard with a 187-hp, 2.7-liter four-cylinder mated to a six-speed automatic that returns 19 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. Powerful enough for most buyers, the four-cylinder does make a few gritty noises under acceleration, but there is enough torque (186 lb-ft) to move the Sienna smartly. Those who regularly carry a full load of passengers might want to opt for the 3.5-liter V-6 that produces 266 hp and 245 lb-ft of torque. The V-6 is available in every trim level (standard on SE, XLE, and Limited) and carries over from the previous model. The only new part of the powertrain is the six-speed automatic that replaces last year’s five-speed unit. Compared with the previous Sienna, V-6 fuel economy increases by 1 mpg in the city and highway cycles, to 18 and 24 mpg, respectively. Toyota continues to offer optional all-wheel drive, and the Sienna is the only minivan that still does. Paired only with the V-6, all-wheel-drive Siennas return fuel economy of 16 city and 22 highway, an improvement of 1 mpg in the highway cycle.
The Sienna’s chief engineer, Kazuo Mori, tells us that he worked hard to improve the handling and create a sportier feel while maintaining the quietness and refinement of the previous Sienna. Immediately noticeable is higher-effort steering that gives the Sienna something it never has had—some semblance of steering feel. No one will confuse the feel at the helm with that of a Porsche, but it’s a useful improvement. Although the chassis layout—front struts and torsion-beam rear axle—carries over from the previous model, Mori completely retuned the suspension to give a tighter and more controlled feel. Damping is firmer, body roll is less pronounced, and the floaty, flaccid nature of the previous Sienna is gone. From behind the wheel, the Sienna still feels larger than the Honda Odyssey—which is our minivan handling benchmark and the most carlike in the segment—but the body’s resistance to roll and the supple-yet-controlled ride are on par with the Honda. For those who demand more sportiness in their minivan, Toyota offers the SE trim level that comes with an even more aggressively tuned chassis.
Pricing Holds Steady
The 2011 Sienna goes on sale in February with a base price $330 less than the previous model, at $25,010. We expect Toyota to keep prices for the rest of the trim levels close to those of the 2010 version. A fully loaded Sienna Limited with all-wheel drive should approach $45,000. Regardless of whether Toyota actually was the first minivan player, the Japanese automaker clearly is bent on staying in the segment with the new Sienna. And with better responses and more equipment for the same money, we have no problem with that.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
The Sienna for 2011 is pretty sweet. Like I said, one day I'll be a soccer mom and that's what i will want to drive!

MD_Weems

100 Posts
I did the soccer mom mini van thing.... it was ok, but I just hated knowing I drove a mini van.... I do like the 2011 Toyota Sienna though. Here's the Wikipedia pic:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok, I've driven (and been driven around in) a 2011 Toyota Sienna for a short while, and my first reaction is "WOW", how could Toyota make the best minivan even better? I'm not sure how they did it, but they sure did.

It was only since 2004 that the current Sienna took shape and became a world-class contender for the title of "The Best Minivan in the World". It was only a few years ago that the Chrysler Town & Country introduced very novel concepts like advanced seating (like Stow & Go) and more serious rear entertainment for passengers. Toyota has taken this concept and gone a step further.

Car & Driver says, "
Let's hear from more Sienna owners.

Related Content You Might Like: