• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2007 Tundra Stuck in 4LO

luckybass

Went to go to work and for some reason my 07 tundra limited automatic transmission 5.7 was in 4 wheel low. I havent used the 4wd in over a year.

Started it up this morning and 4lo light is flashing, traction control is flashing, engine light lit, and wheels slipping light lit.

Truck is in 4wd and had to really drive slow to get to work. Anyone experience this?

Last edited by a moderator:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Not able to get out into 4hi by driving back and forth while selecting 4hi?

Are the check engine light or traction control lights flashing?

HOW TO GET YOUR 4WD TOYOTA TRUCK OR SUV OUT OF 4LO

To get it out of 4LO
(4wd low), the truck must be in stopped in nuetral, then switched out to high by pushing in on the nob.

If that does not work, you need to reverse and then put in neutral to switch out.

Last edited:

russtee1

I had a similar problem when my switching valves were stuck open. It was a mess to fix.

My truck wasn't actually in four week drive low it just seemed to be. Because the truck only had a third of its potential power its called limp mode.

First thing I have to do is check what the code is. Some auto parts stores will do it free. Let me know what u come up with

Last edited by a moderator:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I had a similar problem when my switching valves were stuck open. It was a mess to fix. My truck wasn't actually in four week drive low it just seemed to be. Because the truck only had a third of its potential power its called limp mode. First thing I have to do is check what the code is. Some auto parts stores will do it free. Let me know what u come up with
Hadn't though about that, does it flash the 4LO light when it's in limp mode?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
+1 on the getting codes checked though, you mentioned that your check engine light was on, you can get them checked for free at most major autoparts stores.

russtee1

I can't quite remember. But I know there was all kinds of lights flashing. My first thought was I was in 4x4 low also because of the way the transmission was acting but realized it wasn't because when doing tight turns on dry pavement I didn't get that clunking when the wheels were pulling. I eventually figured it out with a lot of help on this sight. If u search for it there should be lots of questions and people putting me in the right direction. Get the code scanned and let me know and I will try to help you from there

ConnSmythe

Went to go to work and for some reason my 07 tundra limited automatic transmission 5.7 was in 4 wheel low. I havent used the 4wd in over a year. Started it up this morning and 4lo light is flashing, traction control is flashing, engine light lit, and wheels slipping light lit. Truck is in 4wd and had to really drive slow to get to work. Anyone experience this?
Experiencing this right now. Bought the truck knowing it had an issue. Got the codes read. Pointed to a switching solenoid in the transmission. Tested. It was bad. Replaced it. After reading some posts here I'm thinking maybe the truck doesn't know it's fixed, and is still in "limp home" mode, but curious what finally resolved things for Russtee1 and Luckybass.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Experiencing this right now. Bought the truck knowing it had an issue. Got the codes read. Pointed to a switching solenoid in the transmission. Tested. It was bad. Replaced it. After reading some posts here I'm thinking maybe the truck doesn't know it's fixed, and is still in "limp home" mode, but curious what finally resolved things for Russtee1 and Luckybass.
When did you get the truck? This thread was from 2.5 years ago, it would be great if @russtee1 and @luckybass could give some insights though.

ConnSmythe

Bought the truck a month ago. Got the codes to clear by removnign the negative lead for a few minutes, but they came back within a few miles.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Do you have a code reader that you can clear the codes with?

ConnSmythe

No I do not. Started removing ALL aftermarket wiring. Yikes there is a lot. Replaced battery. Next step is replacing broken transmission grounding cable. Prayers this fixes it. If not, I'll be back here looking for how other people finally got their 07s out of limp home mode.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Yea, your just running in limp mode. You will need to fix the problem, then clear the codes. My 04 - 4 runner 2WD has been in limp mode for about 2 years. I think its my cats, but its very expensive to replace 4 cats. Toyota does not share there ECM technology. You could go to autozone and have them read your codes for free.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
No I do not. Started removing ALL aftermarket wiring. Yikes there is a lot. Replaced battery. Next step is replacing broken transmission grounding cable. Prayers this fixes it. If not, I'll be back here looking for how other people finally got their 07s out of limp home mode.
Oh. Snap. Still not out of limp mode?

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
How big of a problem is this? Like, how many vehicles are affected? I've never heard of something like this before. Is there nothing that can be done? Like go to a dealer and have the computer reflashed?

ConnSmythe

Couldn't easily replace grounding cable at transmission as the two bolts holding it in place, like every other bolt on this truck thus far, have rusted to the point of seizing and I don't want to snap the bracket. Never buy a truck that has lived in the North.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Couldn't easily replace grounding cable at transmission as the two bolts holding it in place, like every other bolt on this truck thus far, have rusted to the point of seizing and I don't want to snap the bracket. Never buy a truck that has lived in the North.
Where do you hail from?

Related Content You Might Like: