• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2004 Tundra rear axle seals

ironandsteel

I just bought a very nice 2004 Tundra with 190k on it. Today, when I got it inspected, they found that the rear axle seals were leaking gear oil onto the brake shoes.

The truck came with service records of the axle seals being replaced at 187k! Is this a chronic problem, or did the previous tech not know what he was doing, or what?

I am aware of the breather vent that can get clogged and cause this leak. My vent turns freely, so I assume it is not clogged.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Possibly the tech did not replace the seals (just cleaned up the area for quick cash), damaged the seal surface (scared the seal seat), or botched the job entirely. I would clean the area good and do a complete inspection.

ironandsteel

I took the truck to my Toyota guy today (toyota trained) and he said that it is easy for these differentials to be over filled, and that can blow out the axle seals. And of course, the axle vent.
So, at his suggestion, I took it home, jacked it up, took off the wheels and drums. I brakekleened both sides. I drained the punkin, and put in 3 quarts of Mobil 1 gear oil, and 4 oz of ATP AT-205 re-seal. I put it in drive and spun the rear end for a few minutes. I put a clean cloth under each side, and tomorrow, I'll see if there are any drips. The theory here is that the AT-205 will help the seals seal. If no drips tomorrow, I'll put on new shoes, and I should be good to go. We'll see!
If there are any drips, I'll change out the seal(s). The right side has the major leakage, so I'd likely only have to do one side.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If it was only overfilled that would be an easy fix. Keep us posted.

Tronchsr

The only chronic 'problem' with Toyota axles is the axle vent. Notorious for getting clogged. When the axle gets hot, the vent doesn't vent, and you get a leak/blow-by. I suggest you replace the vent cap after thoroughly cleaning it (much easier than a brake and seal replacement job - and cheaper too).

Related Content You Might Like: