• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2004 Tacoma AT shifting problems

Taccy Toy Man

I purchased a used 2004 Tacoma with ~78K mi. about 9 months ago. It recently started exhibiting some shifting characteristics that made me a bit nervous. When cold, it seemed that the shift points ran about 4-500 RPM higher than normal.

I took it to the local dealer for a transmission service and they reported back that it was fine and in good condition and that they didn't notice anything unusual when they test drove it. When I picked it up from the shop, I drove it almost immediately onto the freeway (<1/4 mi.). The shift into 2nd seemed delayed slightly and it wouldn't shift into overdrive at all. This was during rush hour so I kept the RPMs up high enough to do about 55 MPH until I got to the next exit -- over 2 miles away. I took a back road from there and the problem seemed to correct itself. I didn't go back to the dealer as it was approaching closing time and I had other commitments too.

When I called the dealer on the following day, the service adviser said that these transmissions won't shift into OD until they warm up to a certain point. I could accept that but this particular situation had only occurred once before when the truck was started in temps that were 20 degrees colder and it only lasted for about 1/2 mile. Was the service adviser correct about the temperature of the trany limiting the shift into OD? Is there something they could have done during the transmission service that affected whatever sensor controls the shift into overdrive? Any suggestions for solutions?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
First off welcome to the site. That's very low miles for a 2004.

I'm not so sure about not shifting into overdrive before they hit a certain temp. Anyone else hear that before? Who was it that told you that? It's possible I suppose, but these things get heated up pretty quickly ...

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
How much time are we talking about? I know you said the miles, but is that stop and go or just get on the freeway and drive full-out?

Taccy Toy Man

When I left the Toyota dealer, it was less than 1/4 mile to the freeway on-ramp and then moderate acceleration up until it wouldn't shift into OD. The freeway traffic was heavy but steady at ~65-70 MPH so I was holding up traffic at 55. From the time I left the dealer until I got off the freeway was probably less than 5 min. Like I said, after I got on a back road, the problem disappeared.

The person who told me that the trany wouldn't shift into OD until it reached a certain temp was one of the service advisers at the dealership. I don't know what his basis for saying that is. (I know him slightly from contact elsewhere and he seems like a good guy but that doesn't automatically make him an expert.) I haven't owned a Toyota with an A/T before so I don't know about this situation myself. But the only other times I've had a problem with A/Ts were due to a failing sensor on the transmission and to internal seals that got too stiff to seal after 180K mi. and 17 years.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I have seen this happen before when people change around the wheels and tires and they don't adjust for them. That is, putting tires that are 3-sizes larger than stock and it changes the shifting points, messes with the MPG, changes the MPH readings, etc. You would see quite a few other issues with that and it would be all the time.

They finished the tranny service and said everything else looked fine? It could be the OD solenoid not shifting until it gets warmed up. I've just been reading that some other people are having this issue and it is considered to be fairly normal.

It won't go into OD until the temp sensor on the engine tells the ECT unit it has warmed up. If 1,2 and 3 shift fine, it's not the shift solenoids. 1st gear, no 1 is on,2 off. Second gear no 1 off, 2 on, third gear both are on and OD both are off.

Last edited:

Taccy Toy Man

Thanks for your info. MuddyTacoma.

Maybe the Service Adviser wasn't just BSing me after all. The shift problems have been going into 2nd and OD so maybe the "#1 off" is the problem. However, I still have trouble with the fact that this barely happened before even when ambient air temps were 20 degrees colder from a cold start. (My home is the same distance from a freeway entrance as the dealership.) Is there something that they could have done to alter the solenoid's performance? What are the odds that replacing the solenoid will cure the problem?

I haven't taken the opportunity to try to replicate the situation yet and have only driven it on city streets since. I was worried that I might make the problem worse before I determined how to approach a solution. My other (17 y.o.) vehicle is scheduled to go into a shop for a transmission rebuild this week (Curse you, Transmission Gods!), so I need to use this one meanwhile.

Darrin

This is why I'm not very fond of using A/T for my vehicles, if anything similar like yours happens it's a bit hard to find the problem. Anyway, since there's that someone who introduced the idea to you that transmission won't OD until a certain temp, you might as well try and play with the clutch. Either loosen it up or tighten it. I had a bit similar situation with my impulse before so I thought maybe that could also work for you.

Taccy Toy Man

Thanks for the suggestion. Like I said earlier, this is my first Toyota with an A/T so I was wondering, does anyone know where I can get a Service Manual or at least another thorough guide to the lower drive train for a reasonable price. ($295 for a new 2004 Tacoma Service Manual is what I have seen so far :-O)

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Hey Taccy Toy Man Service Manual of any toyota vehicles is only available in authorized TOYOTA SERVICE CENTER, you can ask the Service Advisor or the Service Manager..

I think this thread should be on Technical Discussions

Last edited:

Taccy Toy Man

Got one -- sort of.

Hey Taccy Toy Man Service Manual of any toyota vehicles is only available in authorized TOYOTA SERVICE CENTER, you can ask the Service Advisor or the Service Manager..

I think this thread should be on Technical Discussions
I tried the local dealership and they didn't have one and couldn't get the whole thing (2 volumes + wiring diagram) ordered in. I researched further and found a source on-line called helminc.com with prices slightly better than the dealership. They also didn't have Volume 2 of the Manual but were willing to sell Volume 1 and the Wiring Diagram book separately.

Toyota Girl

100 Posts
Welcome to the site! Please keep us updated with pictures of your truck and any recent mods or projects!

I've got no idea about service manuals for those books. Have you tried any of the national library systems for book lookup by name? I'll bet that if you go to a major downtown library system you'll find a librarian who could hunt down the book for you in the library system. I know that sounds crazy, but I knew a guy who was into old Willy's jeeps and old Landcruisers and he found some great original service manuals in the University of Washington library system, which is tied into the King County (Washington State) library network so you can borrow books back and forth between these different sites. Anyhow, that's probably something that should be explored if you can't find anything else come up.

Otherwise ... welcome to the site! :)

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site! Please keep us updated with pictures of your truck and any recent mods or projects!

I've got no idea about service manuals for those books. Have you tried any of the national library systems for book lookup by name? I'll bet that if you go to a major downtown library system you'll find a librarian who could hunt down the book for you in the library system. I know that sounds crazy, but I knew a guy who was into old Willy's jeeps and old Landcruisers and he found some great original service manuals in the University of Washington library system, which is tied into the King County (Washington State) library network so you can borrow books back and forth between these different sites. Anyhow, that's probably something that should be explored if you can't find anything else come up.

Otherwise ... welcome to the site! :)

Nice I never thought car service manuals is also available in public library... great information hah, thanks

Related Content You Might Like: