• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2.4Ltr Turbo Diesel install to 69FJ40

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
I have a 2.4 Ltr LTE Turbo Diesel that I am installing in 69 FJ, diesel has full-time 4WD auto trans (5 speed). The FJ original rear end is offset to side, the diesel needs straight in center rear, offset to right front, same gear ratio. Anyone have suggestion as to model/year drive axels I should use for install?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The question is are you looking to go direct somewhat bolt in from a yard or are you looking at spending some extra cash for something purpose built.
Cut down Dana 60 rear and 44 up front would be a sturdy set-up.
Possibly the least expensive route as I don't remember any direct bolt ins.
Currie custom builds to your specs.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
The question is are you looking to go direct somewhat bolt in from a yard or are you looking at spending some extra cash for something purpose built.
Cut down Dana 60 rear and 44 up front would be a sturdy set-up.
Possibly the least expensive route as I don't remember any direct bolt ins.
Currie custom builds to your specs.

I have considered that but just thought surely Toyota would have made one. The original FJ front axel lines up with he driveshaft, it's the back that doesn't. The splicer rear axel has hte 3rd member off to the drivers side so their would be apps. 4" offset in that drive line angle. I was more concerned with matching the gear ratio front and rear. I figured the splicer could be cut and redone to my needs, the diesel @ 2.4 liter doesn't have the torque to justify a dana 60 setup, i think , lol.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Almost any axle you use will need to be cut down to fit, LC's are kinda narrow compared to anything but a Jeep.
If you want to stay Toyota why not look at a 98 to 04 Tacoma axle with the TRD electronic locker.
The same axle gets used on Hilux trucks overseas and they are mated to a Diesel.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Thank You, that was the information I was looking for, 98-04 Tacoma axel. I see most Toyota trucks have center 3rd members but I didn't know the correct year / vehicle. Will the gear ratio be the same or will I need to match the original (think its 410 original - need to count teeth) and are ring & pinion available to match new rear to original 69' front axel?

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Thank You, that was the information I was looking for, 98-04 Tacoma axel. I see most Toyota trucks have center 3rd members but I didn't know the correct year / vehicle. Will the gear ratio be the same or will I need to match the original (think its 410 original - need to count teeth) and are ring & pinion available to match new rear to original 69' front axel?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
4.10 was the most popular ratio for those model trucks, but they did offer other ratios so just be careful.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Update:

Removed the body from frame. I found heavy surface rust but think I can blast it off no problem. Set the diesel engine/trans into the frame to align the unit. The engine will set approximately in same forward location and height will work fine. The original FJ has a center cross over frame member I had to remove as it would not work with the full-time 4WD transmission/transfer. The new frame member will install under the rear trans mount. I removed the original engine frame motor mounts and am installing the factory diesel mounts with frame mounts I have made, haven't decided if I want to weld them or bolt them to the frame. The drive shaft (front) lines up & I will have to make attachment adaptor (diesel round / original U bolts to universal joint) The rear I am looking for a locker 3rd member to bolt in & then I'll know if the rear will need modification or adaptor. I have to re-do the hydraulic brake system piping & am considering disc brakes if possible (new rear axel)

Next is setting body back on frame to verify clearances & modify floor sheet pan for new shifter location. If all goes well I'll remove body and then off to frame restoration with Rinoliner to protect from rust again. Need to figure shocks or struts for suspension but probably keep original type but better quality. When I can I'll try to post some pictures.

Related Content You Might Like: