• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1992 Toyota Pickup - I'm Considering Buying One & Have Questions

Edwin

So my girlfriend's mom has a '92 Toyota extended cab pickup (rwd, 4cyl, automatic) for sale that she's had since new. It's got 115,000 miles on it and is in decent shape, considering it's never been garaged. The interior's clean, paint's deteriorating but no rust.

I'm considering buying the truck from her if I can get the price down to something approaching sane. She's asking $5,500, which to me looks like full dealer retail--with the a/c working. Based on private party values on both Edmund's and KBB, I'm thinking something closer to $2,000 would be about right.

The big issue is the AC has recently stopped working. I'm hoping it just needs some refrigerant and maybe a can of stop leak, which I can do myself for just a few dollars. Would a '92 model use R134 or would it still have R12? The other side of the coin, what would I be looking at if I need to put a compressor kit on it--a job that's definitely beyond my meagre skill level.

Any other things I should be vigilant of with this truck? I grew up in a GM family and don't know much about Toyotas.

Edwin

So I finally got to drive the truck today. It runs and drives nicely and is fairly peppy for a four-banger. It also has 112,000 miles on it, not 115,000 as my friend's mother, who owns it, said. But it's just developed another glitch--the speedometer has quit working. It's not the cable because the odometer still works. Any ideas of what's wrong or how to fix it? Obviously, it won't pass state inspection with a broken speedo.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
First off --- I have no clue why your posts were blocked, my bad that I just picked up on it! They're all approved now.

Not sure if the spedometer and the odometer are connected with the same cable or not. Honestly, it's been so long since I've pulled apart the dash in anything that was made before the year 2000. Let me see if I can find a schematic @Edwin and I'll post it up here.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Question, do you have the tach in the dash?

Looks like it's all one unit as I found this exploded view of how the parts fit together. The speedometer is #4 in this diagram.

toyota-pickup-speedometer.png

upatree64

115k miles is nothing to those 22RE and that automatic is a good one too. even with the good motor and trans the truck is no where near worth 5k, you have the right idea about where the price should be. right around 2k to 25 hundred, especially knowing it needs a little work just to legally drive it.. I hope you get that little truck because if you do You'll be hooked on these Yota's.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Replacing compressor is straight forward job. As far as negotiating from $5500 to $2500,,might want to get Toyota dealer to quote cost of repairs truck requires.

So my girlfriend's mom has a '92 Toyota extended cab pickup (rwd, 4cyl, automatic) for sale that she's had since new. It's got 115,000 miles on it and is in decent shape, considering it's never been garaged. The interior's clean, paint's deteriorating but no rust.

I'm considering buying the truck from her if I can get the price down to something approaching sane. She's asking $5,500, which to me looks like full dealer retail--with the a/c working. Based on private party values on both Edmund's and KBB, I'm thinking something closer to $2,000 would be about right.

The big issue is the AC has recently stopped working. I'm hoping it just needs some refrigerant and maybe a can of stop leak, which I can do myself for just a few dollars. Would a '92 model use R134 or would it still have R12? The other side of the coin, what would I be looking at if I need to put a compressor kit on it--a job that's definitely beyond my meagre skill level.

Any other things I should be vigilant of with this truck? I grew up in a GM family and don't know much about Toyotas.
definatly buy it and they make kits to replace the ac they are fairly strait forward and easy to understand but remember not alot of room under hood smaller hands are good lol around 4500 is still good deal even with ac prob.

Related Content You Might Like: