• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1992 4x4 Pick up Best Engine to fit mounts

I have 1992 Toyota 4x4 pickup 3.0L V6 with around 260,000 miles and im interested in dropping in a new engine and im wondering what is the best engine that would fit the mounts??? i want to keep the original look of the truck and will eventually put a long travel suspension but before any of that i want to get a new engine to build on top of and keeping it street legal.
Anyone please help any input will be gladly accepted

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
First off, welcome to the site.

You want to keep it to the original specs for that year? You're looking for either an already rebuilt crate engine that will be a starting point to build off of, or are you looking at something that you can rebuild yourself and then drop-in when you have to?

Thank you! i dont why i haven't joined sooner and im glad to be part of a Toyota community :) And im very new to forums overall, never done one or been apart of one before.

i think i worded my question wrong but what im looking for is the best engine i can fit in it, i've heard before and im not even sure if its true or not, is that the engine from a '98 tacoma would fit.. Is that a better engine? I dont know, Is the best one that can fit? i dont know that either... This why im asking cause i really have no clue... oh i forgot to mention that its 5-speed manual transmission and would very much like to keep that way and the 4x4....... And when i say build off of i mean an engine that i can supe up along the way..

I hope this makes it more clear as to what im looking for

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
A 3.4 LTR engine from a 1997 to 2004 Tacoma or 1998 to 2003 4Runner.
This particular engine bolts up to your existing trans real well.
In normal aspirated mode this engine puts out almost 200hp, with Supra injectors and ignitors the engine puts out close to 230hp. Add a TRD Supercharger and hp jumps to 300+, tweak the Supercharger with a 7th injector, water and alchohol injection a Supra Maf and better airfilyer system and your looking at almost 400hp.
I have a 99 Tacoma Xcab with the afore mentioned set up along with a Marlin Crawler double down t case, 4.11 cryoed gears and a few other tricks sitting on 35" tires that turned 409hp at 3600 rpm and 387lb ft peak. At that tune its a bit of a handfull on the street and hade to be detuned slightly for day to day.use.

Now thats what im talking about, that sounds really fun too!!! thanks for the help on clearing that mystery up tbplus10 on what engines would fit.. Do you mind if i message you in the future if i have questions or anything regarding this

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has anymore...

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
No problem.
Have you given any thought to the twety two R and RE engines? Yea there only four cylinder engines but with the addition of some parts can be little powerhouses that have reliability for a lot of miles.

I'm at the beginning of my whole process, but I've never even thought of a 4 cyli only a 6 and an 8, then I decided I should just stick to what will fit to keep cost down, so if it will fit I definitely will take those into consideration

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Do a little internet research on the 22R/RE engines, when properly built they can produce impressive amounts of horsepower for their size, enough so thay when properly geared they can easily spin big tires.
And one of the best benefits is they can still maintain great fuel mileage and the performance parts cost slightly less in some cases than if you were to build a V6 or V8.
Also not all high powered 4cyl engines are turbocharged, its possible to get good horsepower out of a normally aspirated engine.
If your looking at keeping cost down a 3.4 like whats in my 99 Tacoma isnt a real good choice, I have close to an additional $15,000 above what I paid for the truck when I bought it new in 1999 wrapped up in the build, not to mention a lot of time over the last 14 years.
Another thought for you is be a trend setter, start looking at engine/trans packages from different types of equipment.
My 1991 tube chassis crawler started out like yours, a 1991 Toyota deluxe short bed, along with many other mods it also sports a Yanmar Turbo Diesel engine with a 3spd gear box hooked to a set of mated and clocked GM t cases. The engine is set-up to run Bio fuel. By shopping wrecking yards and craigslist I was able to build this truck for under $5000.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The benefit of that engine is that is a so well designed it's a wonderful platform to build just so many different types (or categories) of engines from. I think of others like the 5.7 350 Chevrolet engine, or the 351 W/C Ford engine that became icons of the industry and it's totally proper to think of the 22R/RE engines in that same type of thought process as something to build up on.

oh my that sounds like a good idea too.... thanks for the thought, good thing i have more time than money so i'll have time to decide what i want and now i have some ideas to go on instead of being the dark.. thank you for your input..... So far my top idea would be the 3.4 ltr out of a 1997 to 2004 model, it sounded like exactly what i had mind before i started any of this

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The best source Ive found for obtaining 3.4 engines is craigslist, finding listings for wrecked 4Runners (most of them are 2wd and of no interest to off roaders) and listings for wrecked larger model Toyota Sedans like Camrys etc. They had an option for the bigger V6.
Engines themselves are normally hard to find but in a wrecked chassis seem to be plentiful.

Related Content You Might Like: