• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1991 ingnition lock cylinder removal

dwill3015

Super Moderator
On my Son's 1991 Toyota Pickup, the key just quit working in the lock cylinder. I have purchased a new lock cylinder and keys, as well a new ingnition switch that he broke trying to start it after the key mishap. I was told the key has to be in the ACC or ON befor you can depress the pin thus releasing the old cylinder. Is drilling the best way to accomplish this since the key won't work any longer? Thanks for any help as this once thought to be a simple fix is becoming very expensive!

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
Man you got me on that one I had a 91 and never had any problem with that let me think on that one for a little bit if I don't post in here on what I come up with I will pm you. Oh yea there is a recall on the 91 toyotas look that up and toyota should fix it (sorry I can't remember what the recall is. What I can remember it has something to do with a relay or something locking up the steering wheel but don't quote me on that.)

dwill3015

Super Moderator
I stopped by a friends repair shop on the way home from work and he agreed that drilling either the lock cylinder itself, or the pin from underneath would be my best bet. I won't get to it for a day of so if you happen to come up with a better plan.

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
I done some asking around and I asked my buddy that works on mine and I read him your problem he told me that would be your best bet is to drilling the pin or the lock cylinder from underneath

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I stopped by a friends repair shop on the way home from work and he agreed that drilling either the lock cylinder itself, or the pin from underneath would be my best bet. I won't get to it for a day of so if you happen to come up with a better plan.

Hi, any updates in this issue? How did you fix the issue so far?

Related Content You Might Like: