• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1988 right side drive shaft install help PLEASE!

jjmead1

I had a heck of a time removing the drive shaft, seems like the steering boot assembly gets snagged on everything. I finally tapped it out, carefully. I for the life of me cannot get he new assembly in. I cannot either bend the joints enough to provide a good entry angle or push it in. the bot assembly is hitting. Any one got any tricks I am missing?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Right side drive shaft? Steering boot?
Are you talking about the half shaft?
And its possibly catching on the rack and pinion?
Did you remove the sway bar link?
You might have to pop the ball joint loose and drop the lower A arm, but it should be possible to do without going that far.

jjmead1

Right side drive shaft? Steering boot?
Are you talking about the half shaft?
And its possibly catching on the rack and pinion?
Did you remove the sway bar link?
You might have to pop the ball joint loose and drop the lower A arm, but it should be possible to do without going that far.
Pardon the descriptions, as I am sorta a noob. It is catching, I did remove the sway bar link, as the bushings were shot as well. I feel like I need to do as you suggested and drop the arm, how hard is this and I believe there is a tool I would need?

It seems possible but I am not sure. I feel like I need another 1/4 to half inch to insert it with out destroying the new boot and shaft. I am very sure I have the right parts...just not enough experience.

Would lightly jacking the lower rotor portion help? The shaft is at such an angle there is not a good way to get it in without a lot of force -- which seems like a very bad idea.

Thanks!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Dont quote me on this, its been a few years since I was under the front end of that gen truck in stock form, but I believe the ball joint has 3 bolts holding it in place from underneath and can be removed from the "A" arm by removing them. If you remove these bolts you must use lock tite on them when reassembling afterwards.
Ive replaced more than a few half shafts (or CV shafts) in the field and never had the problem your having, normally once you get the spline in a good firm shove and it locks in place with a noisey click.
One of those ptoblem thay not being ablr to see it makes it hard to understand whats going wrong.

jjmead1

Dont quote me on this, its been a few years since I was under the front end of that gen truck in stock form, but I believe the ball joint has 3 bolts holding it in place from underneath and can be removed from the "A" arm by removing them. If you remove these bolts you must use lock tite on them when reassembling afterwards.
Ive replaced more than a few half shafts (or CV shafts) in the field and never had the problem your having, normally once you get the spline in a good firm shove and it locks in place with a noisey click.
One of those ptoblem thay not being ablr to see it makes it hard to understand whats going wrong.

Thanks for your input. I ended up placing the jack under the lower ball joint and raising it a bit. This changed the angle of entry just enough for the axle to go right in smoothly. Raised it about 1 inch and the thing was easy to get into place. My next step was to do as you suggested, but I really wanted to try the jack method -- looked simple in my head and turned out great.

Thanks again.

Related Content You Might Like: