• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1988 22RE head and rings are shot - replace the engine or sell now?

pdxtreme

Purchased this 4x4 short-bed brand new just a few years ago. Sad to learn that it has a few issues. But I just replaced the brakes and the body is in awesome condition. Your opinion - spend the $$ to replace the engine or let it go for x amount?

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Which way will net you the most profit? Do you want the headache of engine replacement or rebuild? Sometimes you can find the right buyer that is looking for a project and wants to DIY. Let us know what you decide.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
What is the truck to you. Is it just a truck, or does it have meaning to you. Is it something special, or just transportation. Then the next thing is, money. What will it cost you to replace the truck, VS fix the truck. At the end of it all, if you fix it, will you be happy with it, or will you hate to drive it. These are the questions you should ask your self.

69FJ-2.4LTRTDIESEL

100 Posts
Do you have the knowledge and means to repair or replace the engine? You may consider making an upgrade to the truck if you are not satisfied with the performance and or abilities of the truck. JDM engine depot has replacement engines at a very reasonable price and they come with ECM/ECU, some include transmissions. I viewed a V8 engine for $849, just an example. You also might consider a GM V8 if you want a tough off roader. Advance adaptors has all you need to install, retaining the stock transmission. All depends on your ability and time you can commit, rebuild the motor that evidently wasn't maintained, buy another used possible headache or brand new unit to enjoy the warranty.

jimmyjim

first, what diagnostics have you done to confirm that the head and rings are shot?
second, what is your skill level, how much time do you have to commit to this truck. do you have work space. are you a diy guy or do you want to hire out the work.
since its an 88, if its a 22r you may just need a timing chain. r&r the head is not that hard to do. head and timing chain takes a week for me. but i work slow and am not a pro.
my 85 has 267thou miles, and i plastgauged the bearings a few months ago. they are still in spec! so before you throw in the towel on this engine, make absolutly sure whats wrong with it. do a compression check.

jimmyjim

just want to add, that a timing problem can cause low compression. the chain gets streched, the gears get worn, the tensioner and guides wear out or break. this throws off when valves open and close, and that reduces compression. the cam does not ride in bearings (why i dont know) it rides in aluminum saddles. wear on the saddles can also cause slop in the valve timing. carbon buildup on the valve seats is another potential cause of lost compression. if you do all the work yourself, you might get by on about 350 bucks for parts and tools. lot of variables though.

Related Content You Might Like: