• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1984 engine is SUPER GLUED to the tranny

I'm trying to remove engine (22R) from the truck (1984 Toy SR5 Pick up).... Ive disconnected the tranny...removed all bolts and exhaust and two front engine mounts but the engine will not separate from tranny?????YES I got all the bolts out...:( any ideas folks. I am not taking tranny out with engine...I will drop Tranny/ Transfer case AFTER engine is removed.

NEVER MIND....I got her out...the dowels were corroded pretty good, also noticed that the throw out bearing was broken...not sure if I did it or perhaps it was the cause of some of the noise in 1st thru 3rd gear?????

Xmsteel

Hopefully the throw-out bearing is easier to get on your generation than it was for mine.
The clutch fork, bearing, and any parts similar for mine were like finding a needle in a haystack.
Of course this was for a 1980 20R.

I don't know about the noise, mine was wired (yes, copper wire) to the clutch fork and I didn't notice any unusual noise, and if it does have unusual noise it didn't change when I got the issue fixed.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
How corroded was it? Did you have to pry it apart or use a solvent to help loosen it up?

Got a call from AAMCO they found bad bearings (guess that's where the noise in 1st thru 3rd gear came from) so the rebuild will consist of new bearing and brass and seals throughout...$1000 beans but I was prepared for something in that neighborhood

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
@Bill Lonergan, you're having your local AAMCO shop do the rebuild? What's the scope on what they're supposed to do, what's the timeline and if you don't mind ... what are they charging for the project?

I sent in the entire trans with transfer case etc.. they said brass and bearing kit replacement, they have had it for over a month and the quoted price was 1035.00 with 1 yr warrantee if I install. I went to AAMCO cause they are national name and I don't know Jack about transmissions. Im hopeing for the best here...Im not worried about how long its taking cause I haven't even sent body and frame out for paint/ powdercoat yet, plus still waiting on the Engine block to get back so I can rebuild that.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The throw out bearing is part of the clutch package, on the clutch fork.
Which brings up the question of are you replacing the clutch assembly? Ie pressure plate, clutch plate, etc.
On Toyota trucks theres a ball pivot assy on the clutch fork that can show excessive wear, nows the time to check this too.

Related Content You Might Like: