• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

05 Sequoia - 4WD Actuator - HELP NEEDED

sirdewitt

In need of some HELP..... My 2005 Sequoia was having the symptoms many have reported with trouble going into 4WD LOW. 4WD HIGH shift was working fine but the shift to 4WD LOW would never complete. The 4WD LOW light continues to flash and there was a beeping from the 4WD Actuator mechanism located on the transfer case. I tried all several times and many tactics to jar the shift mechanism free in order to allow the shift to 4WD LOW to complete. With no success I dug deeper.

Thinking that the issue must be something in the Actuator mechanism, I proceeded to take the cover off and investigate. Without having my good analysis and debugger hat on I proceeded to disassemble some of the components inside the actuator. I was able to move the rack shaft back and forth shifting the tranfercase manually from 2wd to 4wd HIGH and 4wd LOW. The mistake I made was not noting the alignment of the gears that I removed from the actuator case. I know….. DUMB >>> DUMB >>>> DUMB…… but it is all water of the dam now .
Anyhow, fast forward to today…. I have since determined that the root cause for my original problem was most likely the cracked vacuum hose on the top of the actuator. Now…. If I could only get the correct alignment/orientation of the gear inside the actuator so it functioned properly.

Does anyone have insight to the correct setup of the internal components inside this switch ? The correct orientation... gear to gear and sensors is critical to proper operation.

Thanks for any help... including pictures of a unit that has not been dissassembled.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Welcome to the site first of all. When did you do the manual manipulation of the actuators? Eeeek, I'm not sure what the correct alignment would be on an 05 Sequoia. Anyone?

sirdewitt

@ Toyotafan...

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry to have not introduced myself and all but I am in urgent need of solving this issue. I manually manipulated the gears in the actuator over a week ago and my vehicle is sitting ever since. Without the actuator inners in sync I am fearful to drive the vehicle on the highway as I dont want to make the situation worse by doing physical damage to the drivetrain.

I have been scouring the web and have not found anyone that documents the alignment of the inners of the actuator. I am still hoping someone with experience or knowledge with this actuator will chime in and help out.

Thx Roger...

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, if someone had the tranny manual they would be able to figure it out quickly, hopefully someone will come along shortly with that information.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
In all honesty I've never turned a wrench on a Sequoia, I dont think I know many that have either.
Normally I wouldnt advertise another site on here but heres some guys that are Hardcore Off-Roaders and if anyone knows these guys will, a couple of them work at dealerships and have access to Toyota manuals not to mention Marlin Cajewski stops by the site and answers questions once in a while too (The owner/Inventor of Marlin Crawlers if your even slightly in to Off-Roading you'll know this name).
http://www.toyotatrailriders.com/
They may be a little rough around the edges but they are very helpful.

balihaisen

100 Posts
So far, I have not got my hand yet on a Sequoia. Unfortunately, I think Marlin Cajewski don't answer all queries. My friend has posted on that site once.

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
In need of some HELP..... My 2005 Sequoia was having the symptoms many have reported with trouble going into 4WD LOW. 4WD HIGH shift was working fine but the shift to 4WD LOW would never complete. The 4WD LOW light continues to flash and there was a beeping from the 4WD Actuator mechanism located on the transfer case. I tried all several times and many tactics to jar the shift mechanism free in order to allow the shift to 4WD LOW to complete. With no success I dug deeper.

Thinking that the issue must be something in the Actuator mechanism, I proceeded to take the cover off and investigate. Without having my good analysis and debugger hat on I proceeded to disassemble some of the components inside the actuator. I was able to move the rack shaft back and forth shifting the tranfercase manually from 2wd to 4wd HIGH and 4wd LOW. The mistake I made was not noting the alignment of the gears that I removed from the actuator case. I know….. DUMB >>> DUMB >>>> DUMB…… but it is all water of the dam now .
Anyhow, fast forward to today…. I have since determined that the root cause for my original problem was most likely the cracked vacuum hose on the top of the actuator. Now…. If I could only get the correct alignment/orientation of the gear inside the actuator so it functioned properly.

Does anyone have insight to the correct setup of the internal components inside this switch ? The correct orientation... gear to gear and sensors is critical to proper operation.

Thanks for any help... including pictures of a unit that has not been dissassembled.

Hi! any updates, How did you get this figured out?

Related Content You Might Like: