• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

02' taco 4x4, replacing a rear drive line carrier bearing

02supertaco

So I've got the 02 extra cab 4x4. two piece rear drive shaft with the center support bearing. any experience replacing the bearing? I was going to take it to a specialty driveline shop but they want $400+ to replace and balance it. So if you have any experience with replacing one please say so!

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I've had to do this before on other vehicles, not exactly the same setup but the key is to have a enough workspace and all of the proper tools necessary. I seem to remember having a rough time with the big nut off the rear of the driveshaft. That nut has to be removed so you can pop off the flange to let you remove the center bearing assembly. Usually you're going to want to make certain that you mark the flanges before you take apart the drive shaft to keep them in balance. Clean it all out and replace everything.

Question, for the $400, what type is the shop going to put in, I assume it will be an aftermarket one, but which one as there are at least four or five manufacturers that make these now. Parts alone is going to be like $130 by the time you're done with it I think, what's the balancing cost for this turn out to be? This seems to be a little bit steep, but you have to pay for their time and this job can be a little bit on the greasy side.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The center bearing referred to as a carrier bearing is best replaced as a unit or 1 piece assembly attempting to rebuild the existing bearing is not worth the effort as its to expensive and time consuming.
Balancing isnt required if you place proper alignment marks on both driveshafts when removing them.
The bearing is bolted in and can be purchased as a unit.
Contact trdparts4u and they should be able to offer the best price on factory replacement parts.
I've replaced somewhere near a dozen of them they rarely wear out but do have a habit of "chirping" hard to resell a truck with a noisey bearing so sometimes its cheaper/easier to replace it,

02supertaco

Well that quote was for a balance, replacement of u-joints and bearing. now the large nut, its at the end of the shaft after you get either end out? by taking that off does it separate the two shafts in the middle where the bearing is?

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Well that quote was for a balance, replacement of u-joints and bearing. now the large nut, its at the end of the shaft after you get either end out? by taking that off does it separate the two shafts in the middle where the bearing is?

nice info, i got interesting step here in where to find the center bearing support.. thanks

Related Content You Might Like: