• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

What's Covering Your Gas Tank? (2004 Toyota Tacoma Gas Tank Cover)

ActionClaw

I’m replacing the gas tank strap on a 2004 Toyota Tacoma (6 cyl, 4WD.).On the strap there's provision to receive two bolts. ST318.jpg This got me thinking about how there was a protective cover or "skid plate" at one time. This doesn't seem a bad idea so, while working on it, I'm considering replacing it but don't recall what was originally there and wondering if I should just manufacture something from sheet metal or attempt to replace it with the original from the scrap yard. Was the original cover merely a small flat sheet of steel, more of a molded form-fitting plastic cover or something else?

Of course, if anybody has an extra they're interested in selling —depending on the price, shipping etc.— I might be interested. I’m in Cleveland, Ohio area.

Thanks

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If memory serves me right, it's just a thin sheet of sheet metal. Sometimes molded to fit the contours of the tank. Not heavy duty by any means, but mainly for light debris kicked up while driving. If you can find one at a junk yard it would save you some fabrication time and be ready to bolt on.

ActionClaw

Thanks; that's pretty much what I thought. I know all those various undercarriage covers aren’t absolutely necessary and many of us don't bother reinstalling them but it seems simple, cheap insurance. I know a guy that hit a 2x4 in the road that popped up underneath, puncturing the gas tank with a couple of the nails. That "thin sheet of sheet metal" could've eliminated a lot of headaches, work and expense.

But that's “Optional Phase II”. First, I have to concentrate on just getting the job done which, as too often turn out to be the case, seemed would be extremely simple …until work began.

I'm encountering a problem I don’t doubt any of you that have done this may have also run across. I’d appreciate any input you can offer on how you proceeded (but to keep with the header & maintain the integrity of the forum I'll need to create a different post.)

Thank you

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
If you're planning on being totally off the grid and plan on doing hard off-roading, it's not a bad idea. But other than back to the future, i've not seen anyone damage their fuel system to the point where it's going to leave them stranded.

Related Content You Might Like: