• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Won't idle down

6speedsd

92 2wd pickup, 22re 5spd

Since the weathe turned cold, this thing won't idle down no matter how warm the engine gets. Idles about 17-1800rpms. I'm assuming it's because of some sort of cold weather valve or something? I'm a diesel guy, so it's been quite some time since I fooled with EFI. All these sensors and valves get on my nerves.

Maybe related, maybe not...but what is the little plunger type valve under the throttle on the intake? I guess I could have gone and gotten a pic huh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, you're on an iphone, pics please.

Your idle was perfect before the weather got cold or was this a gradual downgrade?

6speedsd

Well it seemed to be a tad high to me before it got cold. Maybe 8-900ish. But now that it's cold, like I said, anywhere from 16-1800rpms at idle. Doesn't matter if it's just been cranked or has been running for an hour.

6speedsd

I'm talking about the plunger looking valve? One my finger is on. The throttle actually rests in it at idle. It moves in and out...just trying to figure out what it actually is.

And what would cause this thing to stay idled so high all the time.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If the IAC (idle air control valve) might be sticking or not operating at all.
Whens the last time youve given the the intake sytem a good cleaning with something like Seafoam.

6speedsd

About 5000 miles ago when I first started driving it. Inside the intake looks pretty gunked up. Been debating pulling it off and soaking it to clean it out, but my other truck took all my free time up until now. But it's back rolling again tearing up the streets so I can finally dedicate some time to this little girl.

22RTE

that what you're pointing at looks like a dashpot... it's a mechanism used to slow the closing of your throttle plate so it won't shut too fast... you're probably gonna have to check your IAC on the bottom of your throttle body, check the hoses by feeling it to see if both ends are warm after vehicles been warmed up

rickoshay45

Get a spray can of good Fuel Injector Cleaner. Spray the dashpot and all the linkages. Then run the RPM's up and start spraying the intake manifold. The engine will run rough so you may have to take it slow and pause from time to time. And be prepared for lots of black smoke. Seafoam is great but it only cleans what it comes in contact with. You just need to finish the job. Afterwards just lubricate the linkage with silicone preferedly since it is beneficial to the rubber parts. If that doesn't work get a new dashpot.

6speedsd

Dashpot huh? Never in my life would I have figured it would be called that! Thanks guys. I'll give all that a try.

What's your preferred flavor of spray injector cleaner?

6speedsd

Good deal. I looked back in te intake the other day. Looks pretty gunked up. Wondering if maybe it'll just be easier to pull the upper manifold and have it hot tanked. Have a customer with a radiator shop that keeps telling me to bring anything I want to him to clean.

Related Content You Might Like: