• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Why the ticking?

6speedsd

First real technical post here. Truck is a 92 with 22RE and 5spd. It has always had what sounds like a lifter tap. Only way I know how to describe it. Truck has been in the family for 20 yrs, and as long as I can remember it has done it. Is that just normal for these engines? OHC so no lifters, so what's causing the tapping sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
After break in many of these engines get whats refered to as "sounding like a sewing machine".
Sometimes you can mute the sound with a good tephlon additive, never goes away just gets quieter.
Never seen anyone attribute the noise to parts failure or extreme wear.

6speedsd

Good to know. Like I said, it's done it for 20 plus years, so it can't be harmful. Thing still runs like a champ.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ive been told by factory and independant mechanics and engineers the reason for this noise is due to the tight tolerances.
The 22R engine has a reputation as being one of the hardest engines to kill by neglect, stupidity, or abuse, Ive personally tried all three methods and found I wasnt trying hard enough as the engines in question survived.
Just keep up the maintenance and respect her age and you should get plenty more miles of service.

6speedsd

Just shy of 166k. Just always wondered why it sounded that way.

Here is one from yesterday, making her do a little work.

Related Content You Might Like: