• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toyota Sequoia Tire Pressure Sensor (TPMS)

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, nowhere near that price at all. Let me see what you can get one for delivered to your house ... should be able to find a local tire shop to install for you, if you have a floor jack then you can do it yourself.

I'll just assume a late model Sequoia and standard tires and wheels, @Bruce Colbert

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok, they want more for the factory OEM sensors than I thought. ???

OEM OPTION

TPMS SENSOR - 2014 TOYOTA SEQUOIA (426070C070) - $54.44
It's from Larry H. Miller, aka Toyota Parts Alb and they're sponsors on this forum.
http://parts.toyotaabq.com/toyota/s...onitor-components-scat/?part_name=tpms-sensor

AFTERMARKET OPTIONS

I'm not seeing a whole lot of savings by going aftermarket. Maybe you can get them down to like $35 or so, but FWIW I would rather get OEM new factory parts for $54 than aftermarket for $35.

However if you wanted to look at them, I quickly came up with a brand called Dorman and they seem to produce aftermarket TPMS systems for a lot of vehicles.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...joBie-TA&ved=0CFQQpis&ei=20SIVd2ZMZOiyQSn1odY

Bruce Colbert

Thanks for the parts website. I'll definitely bookmark that.

Not sure what to do at this point as the tire shop had previously tried to fix a leak here but did not check the TPMS so they're going to put the TPMS in labor free.

So my guess is

order part + wait time + pay another tire shop = about 100 bucks anyhow.

Also not sure how I would do this myself without a tire machine.

Appreciate the insight.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, not sure what I was thinking about the tire machine, lol. I've got a good relationship with the discount tire co shop near my house so they do stuff for me ... of course they do a lot of stuff for anyone too.

The issue of the leak needs to be addressed before the issue of getting the TMPS system working as it's clear that you need air in your tire to just be able to drive.

Spitfisher

These TPMs devices are a PITA here in New England. I was checking my air pressure in my tires every month of so before they came along. as an experienced driver I could almost feel when the tire were a little soft. A sequoia I am looking to buy used has a the TPMS light on, the owner said she had it checked out and everything was fine. My question is are they required? what is you took them off whould the light go off?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
That's actually a really good question @Spitfisher.

It's just another list in a long line of having safety equipment mandated by the US Government for all new passenger vehicles to be sold in the US. Some people see this as being progress and the government looking out for us with sound science and compassion ... other's see it as being a nanny state where big brother is watching us and will tell us what is best for us, even if we disagree.

Anyhow, Tire Pressure Management System (TMPS) has been mandated since 2008 and the law was passed in the year 2000 after the Ford Explorer problem (which was almost always due to people driving too many miles or going too many years on otherwise fantastic tires).

The only requirement is to have a pressure sensor in each tire that will cause the check engine light CEL to come on and/or a special tire symbol. Most vehicle now have some type of driver information display, so it will actually tell you your current tire pressure reading and/or will warn you when driving if you have a sudden drop in pressure.

Back when I was an executive marketing VP for a major car dealership in Dallas, I got demo vehicle all the time and I took out a large SUV that picked up a nail or something going down the freeway. Turns out it was a large puncture, but I didn't notice anything until the TIRE PRESSURE WARNING message turned on. I was able to get off the freeway, pulled over to the shoulder, noticed that it was hissing but the tire pressure started at 40, dropped to 30 and I drove to a discount tire shop, pulling in when it got to about 25 or so.

Discount tire pulled out the foreign object, patched the tire, inflated it and I was back on the road (no cost to me) in maybe an hour or so.

Spitfisher

Agreed, here in new england especially the fall and spring, that first cold day/night the tpms light up like a christmas tree, especially in Hondas, My wifes car. They are set to light up anytime there is a 10% reduction in tire pressure < 3 lbs. They are a pain, drive to work leave in the afternoon, no light, the next morning they're on again.

Related Content You Might Like: