• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Toy Truck 1981

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, RadioShack is on life support, very sad but the world has moved on.

Did you get a closed circuit on the coil?

ToyTrucker

I'm still figuring out how to use it on the coils but found a write up I am going to go through the process tomorrow, I did find power going to the coil/ign but this meter is slightly a challenge for me since it;s been 15+ years since I used one.
20150329_144243.jpg

Here is the wire hanging by a few threads
20150329_142423.jpg

I soldered them back together.
20150329_143512.jpg

The cap and rotor looked almost brand new
20150325_123946.jpg

20150325_124213.jpg

So after checking all these items in the morning I am going to check the distributor for signal to the ignitor then coil. I do already have all the parts for a GM swap but just need wires for the blaster coil I bought from what I read to handle the higher spark energy.
I would like to stay stock so I might try finding someone local to try their oem Coil/Ignition unit.
20150318_223417.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Coils can fail in a couple of ways. Those frayed wires would make me be suspect of what they're going into it's it fried or not

ToyTrucker

I was outside today testing the resistance of the coil and wires. I might need a new ignitor and th3 wiring attached to it. I found a guy about 50 miles away who I asked how much for the part from a '85 22R, I believe it;s the same part but stop me now if it isn't. I offered him $50 and some change let's see if he sells.
I am not sure if i'm getting the correct readings but the resistance seems ok. bouncing between 5/6 it did dip to 4 a bit.
20150402_112336.jpg

ToyTrucker

I did a few more tests
I checked the resistance of the signal generator (pickup coil)
20150402_125940.jpg

Then I went to test the coils secondary coil resistance
20150402_130242.jpg

The the Primary Coil, maybe this is the problem? IDK I used it on 2 different settings and got 2 different numbers. Anybody shed some light or am I doing it all wrong?
20150402_130253.jpg

20150402_130316.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Looks like I lost my last message.

I've never had to test a coil now that I think about it, I went to look for a video and found this simple test.

ToyTrucker

I got to removing the rear bed mat and started cleaning 34 years of dust n dirt out.
20150403_121742.jpg
20150403_121839.jpg
20150403_122317.jpg
20150403_122343.jpg

washing the mat, I'll keep using her but I will remove the bad from the chassis next week.
20150403_124012.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Wow, that mat was factory? Please tell me that you're showing us the bottom of the mat and the top was the color as shown in the previous pics.

ToyTrucker

Nope, I washed all the dirt/mud off and it seems like an aftermarket piece, It
Wow, that mat was factory? Please tell me that you're showing us the bottom of the mat and the top was the color as shown in the previous pics.
The last photos was the same dirty side after I washed it, the bottom, dimpled side was pretty clean and did not need any washing. I think it was aftermarket cut to length.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Really? What type of cleaner did you use to get it looking like black rubber again? Seriously, that had a lot of dust and mud on it for it to go from a greyed out tan to glossy black. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it now that it's cleaned up, but are you going to re-do the paint in the bed as well?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm interested in seeing the bed when you take it off and get the cap off as well, a good power washing will reveal a lot and wondering if there's any rust under that dirt. ???

toyotasrule

100 Posts
I just picked up this 1981, I guess these are called Hilux?
4X4 From the Original owner.
Was parked last year and sat for 2 weeks and didn't start.
They picked up a new Tacoma and now had no use for this which served as a farm truck for 10+ years.
Plenty of dirt inside of the cab but everything looks solid!

copied from my members introduction:
The engine bay started to look like home for some type of rodent, found 2 walnut shells on the left side, I started to rinse all the dead leaves which had become soil and tried to hose the moss growing on it off. When i rubbed the white oxidation it became yellow underneath again! Some dings, dents and scratches but I may just roll with it to keep the vintage look. Polish it out a bit later but the first order is getting her running. Fuel pump? Guess I'll check to see if it pumps fuel. Cranks over really well on the 10 month battery that's been sitting. No creaks or squeaks when turning the wheel and even the doors open and close well. I have the original tailgate, carburetor and some snow chains sitting in the back. Has some type of roll cage inside of the rear. The original spare is even still there! Also A Stack of original service records and the registration and dealer papers. Can't believe in 1981 registration was only $7!

This was used mainly as a farm truck for the last 10 years so the interior has lots of dirt and needs a full restoration but is pretty complete. Needs the bench seat definitely redone first.
View attachment 2986
View attachment 2982 View attachment 2983 View attachment 2984 View attachment 2985
Looks pretty good for a 1981 actually, good luck to you on the restoration. My granddad had a truck like that back in the 80's and it was similar to those colors, that must have been a very popular color combo for these 70's and 80's Toyota pickups.

ToyTrucker

Really? What type of cleaner did you use to get it looking like black rubber again? Seriously, that had a lot of dust and mud on it for it to go from a greyed out tan to glossy black. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it now that it's cleaned up, but are you going to re-do the paint in the bed as well?
There are 2 rust spots on the car, one under the battery tray against the wheel well on pass side then there is one in the bed right by the front corner of the dr side wells inside corner. Not big and that part may be getting cut for long travel suspension or I would just repair it. I'll snap some photos today. On the rubber I just used the good ol' tap water (droung time) running from my hose and the broom for scrubbing. Yup that's it just water and a broom. :cool:
I'm interested in seeing the bed when you take it off and get the cap off as well, a good power washing will reveal a lot and wondering if there's any rust under that dirt. ???
I'll probably refrain from water for now since I don't wanna promote more rust and brush it with some metal prep inhibitor till I decide to cut or patch. I restore and paint vehicles as my part time job/hobby and have been doing it for 20+ years so I have all the equipment.
I may go as far as getting the whole bed media blasted if I decide to keep it in tact. and use it which I would like to. No complete rear cage for me. The camper cover is not so bad, has one crack by the rear dr hinge. I will be removing it once I sell my 93 rx7 and get it out of the garage. Maybe I'll take it off today and put it in the side yard, wasn't heavy to me, I picked up and put my own leer FG top for the long bed ford.

Looks pretty good for a 1981 actually, good luck to you on the restoration. My granddad had a truck like that back in the 80's and it was similar to those colors, that must have been a very popular color combo for these 70's and 80's Toyota pickups.
Thanks toyotasrule,
The original owner of this baby is my mothers boyfriend who bought it back in 81. became a farm truck in 2000 when he bought a 4Runner SR5 4x4 and now bought a new Taco so this had to go for space in his driveway. Yellow is not my thing so painting it some type of metallic green or camo rattle can!:D

Ok, off to take that torn up seat out and start getting all that mud/dirt out of the cab!

toyotasrule

100 Posts
There are 2 rust spots on the car, one under the battery tray against the wheel well on pass side then there is one in the bed right by the front corner of the dr side wells inside corner. Not big and that part may be getting cut for long travel suspension or I would just repair it. I'll snap some photos today. On the rubber I just used the good ol' tap water (droung time) running from my hose and the broom for scrubbing. Yup that's it just water and a broom. :cool:

I'll probably refrain from water for now since I don't wanna promote more rust and brush it with some metal prep inhibitor till I decide to cut or patch. I restore and paint vehicles as my part time job/hobby and have been doing it for 20+ years so I have all the equipment.
I may go as far as getting the whole bed media blasted if I decide to keep it in tact. and use it which I would like to. No complete rear cage for me. The camper cover is not so bad, has one crack by the rear dr hinge. I will be removing it once I sell my 93 rx7 and get it out of the garage. Maybe I'll take it off today and put it in the side yard, wasn't heavy to me, I picked up and put my own leer FG top for the long bed ford.

Thanks toyotasrule,
The original owner of this baby is my mothers boyfriend who bought it back in 81. became a farm truck in 2000 when he bought a 4Runner SR5 4x4 and now bought a new Taco so this had to go for space in his driveway. Yellow is not my thing so painting it some type of metallic green or camo rattle can!:D

Ok, off to take that torn up seat out and start getting all that mud/dirt out of the cab!
Good luck on that, metallic green would be a good color, camo would be fitting as well.

ToyTrucker

Well I got to crawling into the bed and saw that the rust was only on the surface along the seam, poked around with a screw driver and we still have steel so I guess just one small rot. Should fix up easily when media blasted and primed.
20150406_155437.jpg

I like using a painters brush to get all the dust 'n dirt loose
20150406_155824.jpg

Ok, enough of the bed, the topper looks pretty good inside also. I like how everything is starting to look less dirtier.
20150406_160416.jpg

Here is the other rot through under the battery tray, pretty minor so I will probably just media blast the area and stick a patch in there, maybe!
20150406_160635.jpg

From inside of the engine bay,
20150406_160656.jpg

Dash and front of the cab area, told you it was a farm truck. it does still have the original shifter boots! Amazing for 309k miles. Seats do show their age and disintegrated bead seat cover with beads stuck in the cracks of the faults in the cushions! lol I could not get the transfer case shifter into "2H" on the left side. It seems it only works on the 4H and 4L then I can slide it over to the left but can not push it up into 2H. Seems like it's shut out.
20150406_155924.jpg

Even has a 80's Realistic cassette player!

20150406_160113.jpg

One last shot of the underbody from rear to front, I find it pretty nice, I couldn't remove the seats or top today, seems I left my tools at the shop.
20150406_161116.jpg

Oh and for ToyotaFan, here are a few more photos of that bed mat. I think it says "NylaCord" made in the US of A baby!
The underside and it;s dimples also pictured.
20150406_160213.jpg

20150406_160250.jpg

Last edited:

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Problem with making a product that good is that you can't resell repeat when they break or get ruined. That's a good quality mat for sure.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: