• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Timing Chain Question 2.7l

Lon Ross

Hi, new guy here, well an old guy with a old truck, just new to the forum LOL. I just bought a 1996 T100 S/C with a 2.7 L 4cyl and 100k miles for $2,900.00. So far I love the truck, it was well maintained and no rust. I am fixing it up to suit my taste. I am installing new Monroe Gas Magnums, it has Goodyear Tracker 2 tires that look like new, but it has a shimmy at 60+ MPH. The PO had the tires rebalanced and the trans fl changed + a new battery, brakes / rotors and several hundred dollars of work done just before I bought it and he gave me the receipts. I ordered a shim kit so I can adjust the valves (250 bucks, ouch!)
trdrs1.jpg
, as I have read about burnt ones if neglected. I also would like to know what you guys think about the timing chain replacement. It makes no noise at all and runs great, but I have read that it should be changed before 120k miles, so I am getting close. Not looking forward to it as it looks like a PIA, but better then letting it break. Just looking for input from others, thanks, Lon.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
If it is a belt, then yes change it, but if it is a chain, then no, I would not worry about it.

Lon Ross

If it is a belt, then yes change it, but if it is a chain, then no, I would not worry about it.
Thanks Kenny, it is a chain, but I have read about some failing when the miles get into the 120k+. I am guessing those may have been abused motors or neglected. I have a 24 year old BMW with a quarter million miles on the original timing chain, so just asking other Toyota owners with a 2.7L timing chains with high miles, thanks to all.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If I remember correctly the 2.7 is an interference engine, which makes it much cheaper to replace the chain before a failure than after one. Failure of the chain can cause bent valves, and damaged pistols. Toyota is generous with their mileage/time frame for maintenance, but I wouldn't press it to far since the recomendation is made with experience.

Lon Ross

If I remember correctly the 2.7 is an interference engine, which makes it much cheaper to replace the chain before a failure than after one. Failure of the chain can cause bent valves, and damaged pistols. Toyota is generous with their mileage/time frame for maintenance, but I wouldn't press it to far since the recomendation is made with experience.
Thanks 10! I think Toyota recommends removing it at 60k intervals and measuring it, then putting it back in or replacing it if needed. That is a 400 dollar check at the Toyota stealer, so if I ever did that, I would spend the extra 300 bucks and just replace it and the plastic guilds and TCA.

I have read from other 2.7L owners, if you hear a rattle, replace it right away. Mine is soooo smooth and quite, I think the chain and guides are still good, but just looking for input like yours out of caution. In fact, mine is so quite that I ordered the valve shim kit and adjusting tool, as the tighter the valves, the quitter and closer to a burnt valve you are. I haven't done the valve adjustment yet, and have seen some video's on how to check for a loose chain when I get in there.

If you have any information as to this being an interference motor or not, that will help me greatly, as if it is not, I only risk a tow home and not a new motor. I have tried to find out if it is, but no luck looking that up, thanks, Lon

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Yes its an interference motor, I confirmed that with a Toyota tech

Lon Ross

Yes its an interference motor, I confirmed that with a Toyota tech
Thanks! I have been reading MANY post on different sites and the one that I am hoping is true is from a Toyota mechanic with decades of servicing these motors, He said he has not had one timing chain failure on my motor at his shop, and he has had many with over 300k and a few with as much as 500k on the OEM chain.

He said if the motor is not raced at high RPM, but used regularly with oil changes, the guilds don't ware / fail causing the chain to fail. Well, I bought mine off a 80 year old man who went fishing in it, doubt he got into many races on his way home LOL. The guy I bought it from had serviced it well, including trans fl changes and many things other over look.

The mechanic also told me the more important thing most over look on these motors is the solid lift cams, they DO need periodic adjustment to avoid burnt valves. As I have said earlier, I have ordered a shim kit (250 bucks, ouch, and ouch!) But I will have all the shims needed to do the adjustment correctly for now, and in 60k more miles, if I live that long.

His saying was, "If the chain don't rattle, feel safe in the saddle" LOL I hope he is correct, thanks, Lon.

Related Content You Might Like: